Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Follow-up to this is driving me nutz post, please give me some ideas

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Wingnutt, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

Why can’t I have normal problems? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif The vibration is most severe between 25 & 35 mph BUT it comes and goes....weird. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif At 60 mph it is pretty smooth, but starts up again (more of a buzzing feeling, so definitely drive train related) at 65 and up, the vibration is constant, but almost like a very rapid throb. The view in the inside mirror will fuzz then clear if that helps you visualize the vibration.

With the wedges out the angle at the pinion is 14 degrees and 15 at the transfer case. I can’t feel any movement in the pinion bearing and the shaft rotates about 3/8” before the pinion gear teeth contacts the ring gear teeth. The new u-joints are tight and I can’t feel any play, in either shaft. And as far as I can tell the motor, tranny, and t-case mounts are still solid. Everything appears solid and tight, so I’m at a complete loss. Anybody got any more ideas? TIA /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 78k20

78k20 Registered Member

You'll have to forgive me, I'm not sure what you drive, and being new to fixing things myself, I don't know all the proper "names" yet, so this may be WAY off...

On my 3/4 truck, I had something very similar to what you are describing-went through everything and could find nothing. Decided my front u-joint was bad at the axle, so I went to remove the driveshaft. When I went to remove the 4 bolts that hold the cv end to the transfer case-that large ring, whatever it's called (forgive my ignorance please /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif), I found that all four of the bolts were only finger tight, and out maybe an 1/8" on some, to 1/4" on one of them! After replacing the joint, then tightening up those four bolts, it went away entirely. The vibrations were almost exactly what you describe-though this is on a '78 with a 203 case, D44 front. Like I said, may be WAY off for you, but it turned out to be what fixed mine.

Best of Luck with that,

Mike

3. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

what does your vechicle consist of? might want to fill out your profile in a bit more detail

4. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

what tires are you running and wheels/ check the balance of ur tires also and the air pressure. just a thought /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

Sorry, been meaning to fill out the profile, but that's taken care of. To save the time of looking it up, the vehicle is a stock 88 K-5 and I'm running 33x10.50x15 BFG AT KO's. TP is 35 in the front and 30 in the rear. I just replaced the u-joints in the rear shaft Sunday.

Now here's the really wierd part, the beast rode like a caddy this morning until I was almost at work, no vibration at all. After I had to stop and make a right hand turn, the vibration returned! /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

check tightness of the spring u-bolts?????

7. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Are the the new u-joints overtightened? Where are you feeling the vibration? Front or Rear? Whens the last time your tires were balanced?
    Bill

8. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

Spring u-bolts were tightened to 140 ft-lbs Tues nite when I took the wedges out. And the tires were rebalanced about a month ago. Removing the wedges has helped the high speed vibration, but made the low speed vibration more severe. I've had this vibraton through three sets of tires, so I think I can safely rule tires out as the cause.

9. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Did you check that the caps on the U-joints wren't crushed or overthightened? Sounds like you need a degree shim that's slightly smaller than what you have.
    Bill

10. bigyellowjimmy

How long have you had this vibe? For some reason I thought it was a recent problem? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

11. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

It's going on four years now, but it's only been getting on my nerves since I've had to use it as a daily driver. Since the HG blew in my daughters Saturn, she's driving my Cougar and I'm using my K-5 as a daily driver. Any vibration gets old quick when you drive it 45 minutes each way to work and back.

12. bigyellowjimmy

Okay so this problem has been going on for 4 yrs and you are just bringing it up now cause it begun to annoy you. What parts have been around that long that might be causing this? Rear output shaft play on transfer case? Rear pinion bearing play? Rear wheel bearing play? Is it full time 4wd or part time?

13. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

It is bugging me because this is the first time I've had to use it as a daily driver. Since I've owned it, the vibration hasen't bothered me to much. Except for the u-joints, as far as I know everything is origional equipment. When I checked for any play in the rear shaft, I didn't feel any (by hand) but I don't have the proper tools to check for any play except for the 'ol grab and shake method. Oh yea almost forgot, it's part time 4wd.

14. nstarry

nstarry 1/2 ton status

I should have never looked at this thread its going to bug me all day /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    how are your tires wearing ? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

15. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

jack up the front and see if you can move the wheels side to side.

16. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

The tires are wearing normaly, and I haven't noticed any lateral play in the front end. I'll check it tomorrow evening when I replace a draglink end that had a little play in it. I'll post what I find.