Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Following someone else's work

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by kyser_soze, Oct 20, 2005.

1. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

There I was at work about one hour away from pouring concrete into some pier forms when I decided to check out the other forman's layout (which by the way he did to help me out ). When I discovered that it was out by a whopping two and a half inches. That may mean little to you all, but it is an enormous error in alignment for a building (1/8" is tollerable).

So I had to scramble to get these inbeds moved over and aligned before the cement truck showed up, the thing is the boss would have had my ass for this mistake because I was running this part of the job. I'm not going to narc this guy out, or confront him about his mistake, politics yet again. I'll just have to watch him more closely next time he comes down to 'help out'.

Rant over

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i did that for a while at one job. i had to go around and fix peoples ****ups. one time i had to dig up a sign that was concreted in the ground crocked and wy too high. it too everything another guy and i had to pick it out of the ground and dig it deeper and set it down and re concrete it. had to do it to 5 signs, luckly only the first sign's concrete was set (dumped dry crete in and the first rain would set it) well the sprinkler soaked the first one and made it set.

this was my every day job was to fix other people screw ups, the people that i worked with the summer before, that tought me what to do.

3. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

man, that sucks. but cool on your part not to rat him out,BUT if it happens again.!!! :D i sell roofing and nobody will finnish a job or fix a repair cuz then you take all responsability.complete tear off or hire someone else.

4. boggerless

hey TJ, what up brother?i need your number again. :D :doah:

5. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Ain't it great???? When I was super, my last job was the WalMart Super Center in NKC/Liberty. We got the floor all poured, and the manu rep for all the coolers came in to check it out B4 the units got there. Turns out the manu made a change to the units w/o telling anyone. The floor drains that were supposed to be just outside the doors were right in the middle of the thresholds!! Our layout was dead on, but we had to eat the cost of cutting the floors and moving the drains. I screwed up on my layout once, in Kansas, less than 2 inches. I had to cut all the J bolts off, drill and epoxy new ones in. This during Jan in E Kansas. Epoxy is a bitch to work with when its 10 degrees with a stiff wind.
    ALWAYS check other crewmembers work. Seems like I spent most of my time as a super doing that. Number 2 time eater was making sure all the trades played nice together. What a bunch of whiners. On my Kansas job, the plumber didn't want to start his ground rough cause it was cold outside!My carpenter screwed up 5 grand worth of storefront glass with grinding sparks, then tried to weasel out of it. I'm glad I got out of that back-stabbing racket.

6. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

good on you for not ratting him out.. i take it the guy is Worth it sometimes

But damn.. it would take all i had to hold back confronting him about it. not that i woulda been a dick about it.. Prolly some good natured ribbing,...

7. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

8. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

right on.. theres not too many people in the workforce anymore that arent on an ego trip...

i work mostly with friends so i guess thats where i woulda called someone a Dumbass for screwing up heh...

9. boggerless

i saw a sign at the hardware today, $60.00 an hour,if you watch $70.00 an hour, if you help $80,00 an hour, if you worked on it first $100.00 an hour. :haha: :haha: :haha:

10. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

Working with cable is the worst thing in the world.... How many people are guilty of using that cheap radio shack crap cable and having a hundred splitters around the house... Comon you know who you are, speak up :wink1: Anyways alot of people tend to run all kinds of crap lines all around the house, then call us to bitch at how terrible their picture is. Then when you go there and pull out all of the crap they get even madder cause "the guy at bestbuy said that was the best stuff, I paid 100 bucks for that 50' of monster cable"

We have signs on the back of our trucks that say "When Your Only Tool is a Butter Knife, Shaw offers next day Service Calls"