Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Followup to replacement 10 bolt thread below

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Foy, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Foy

Foy Registered Member

Guys-
    Thanks for the help with sourcing/pricing thoughts in the event we need to replace the 10 bolt on the 90 Suburban K1500.
    Before we pull the cover, we're going to be sure that we're not just low on gear fluid. The problem now is the fill plug, we're having difficulty getting it out. Looks like we're about to booger up the plug. We're assuming it's just a 3/8" drive socket extension--at least that's what seems to fit in the recess. For now, we're soaking it in Liquid Wrench a couple of times a day for the next 2 days, and we'll follow that on with some squirts of PB Blaster. If needed, we'll apply an impact wrench and then the "red wrench" but we really don't want to get too happy with heat anywhere near to the fuel tank.

If the guy did what he said he'd do a year ago, the fluid was drained and changed, so the plug had to have been out then, so it's not as though it's never been out of there.

So, any other ideas to getting the rear axle plug out of this old beast?

Plus, what's the recommended gasket/sealing product for the cover once we pull it and go to putting it back on?

Thanks again for the help,

Cooper

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Same thing happened to me the first time I went to check the level, but I ended up stripping it out. So, I had to use an EZ-Out to get the damn thing off. If your catching hell with it chances are it hasn't been off in a very long time. As for the gasket, just use some RTV...

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

With a completely stripped out fill plug, I would weld on a hex head bolt (or maybe in your case, have someone weld one on) before I would even think of using an ez-out...I hate those things.

Gasket sealer is Blue RTV. Make a bead all the way around the cover about the diameter of 10 gauge wire...and I like to make full circles around each bolt hole. Let it set up for a minute or two, then install it. Make sure you've wiped both mating surfaces clean of old gasket and oil.

4. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Grind the nose of the extension off so it is perfectly flat on the end. Most extensions aren't flat on the end so you lose contact area with the plug. Usually if I do that and use an impact I can get those little snots out. I'd probably hit the case with heat if you can. As long as you can't smell gas and pay attention you'll be alright.

I'd be more worried about the brake line. If you haven't experienced an exploding brake line or hydraulic shock you haven't lived yet. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif "sonb*tch that's hot" "sonb*tch I'm on fire" "holy sh*t it won't go out". I haven't actually had a brake line exploded though but I have caught brake fluid covered rags on fire. A great many shocks have decided to burst though. Usually once they heat soak after cutting them off they decide to rupture.

Anyway, after that, I'd probably try the welder approach.

5. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

I've hammered allen wrenches into those plugs before, seems to work pretty good