Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Font Clip Tilt?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tweetysuarus, Jun 1, 2002.

1. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Hey has any body done a tilt on the front clip sucsessfully and works as not to fly open while wheelin'? It sure would make T.U.'s alot easier and clean up's a breeze.
    Just wondering?

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

A friend and I both had tilt noses on our rigs. Between us we tried every hinge set up imagineable, used hydralics to operate it, and different types of latches, braces ETC. Neither one of us have it anymore and will never try to make one again.

It was cool and all but it wasnt worth it when you have to watch it bounce constantly. Im sure youll have other opinions, and will want to try it. I just hate to see someone waste their time and fenders.

3. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

I have never done it but if you plan to go off road my bet is it will suck pretty hrd...

4. Pure Insanity

Oh.......It does.

Lizard I read a post where you said your in Fla. What part are you in. Im not too far from Tampa.

5. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chuckschevytruckpages.com/tilt1.html>http://www.chuckschevytruckpages.com/tilt1.html</a>

6. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> I'm not a big fan of the supports he used ........ They look like they'd bend right where it flattens out in no time !

7. azblazor

It's kind of interesting how he did it though. He doesn't give much information about how stable it is. But I would think if someone was interested they could email him.

8. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> Do you see what I mean ? It's like supports for childrens swingset ......

9. azblazor

It's difficult to tell from the picture quality. It almost looks like EMT flattened on the ends.

10. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> Yup, just think it would tend to bend where it flattens ????

11. Tweetysuarus

Well sounds like that I really don't wanna undertake this project as I intend on wheelin hard n furious, don't wanna lose body parts cause of loose or faulty hinges &amp; definitely don't want the whole thing fallin off or open up while wheelin'

Thanx guys,
    Bill C

12. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

I would think the only way to make such a project worth while would be to have a fiberglass front clip made. The steal is just to heavy to be supported like that. Of course with a fiberglass front clip the first rock you get up against offroading and that would be the end of that. So, its probably not worth the effort or money unless it is a streat truck your building...
    Ike

13. Pure Insanity

Or until the 1st time it flexes the front suspension. When I rode in my buds rig one nite we were out in the sand pits and doing some hill climbing. At the bottom of the hill its coming down from the other side kinda like a V. We were crossing it and driving along the bottom to catch a trail off the side and I was just watching the back of the hood lift a good 8-10 inches off the cowl. When I flexed mine out one time I had the hood lifted a good 10-12 in. There is a lot more flex in the frame than you think there is and the front sheet metal does add some structure to the frame. There is enough flex there to crack 'glass IMO.

14. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Fiberglass front is redily available. In fact a complete fiberglass body is available for any of the 73-91 yes including convertible. Even convertible truck bodies. Not cheap.
    http://www.usbody.com/
    Somebody showed up here that was putting one of these together. Last I heard from him it was down to the nit picky stuff. He was supose to have a bunch of photos of the build. Hopefully he will surface soon and tell us what he finds. One thing he did mention is the full body sheds so much weight the truck looks like it has a 4 inch lift on the stock springs.
    Now i'm tossing around a different approach. I sure enjoyed being able to sit on the tires and work on the engine when I had my truck appart. As big as my truck is now it's an absolute pain in the butt to service the engine. I'm thinking of making the fenders and inner fender removable . It's going to require some sort of frame to be built to replace the suport the fenders give to the core suport. If I had a bender and some cash I would go like the pre runners have. Fiberglass front clip and bed sides. Full tube roll cage tied into the frame going through the fire wall all the way to core suport. This would take the frame flex away an make the suspension have to do the work. It would mean that the problem with the tilt front lifting up would be gone if you wanted to go that route. This is the route Stephen Watson went on the ORD Jimmy. www.offroaddesign.com He has some pictures up.
    Now my thought with the fiberglass fenders and bed side it take it off when wheeling. Instant skinny the truck up and unless I'm going to get into the inner body tub much less to hit. They don't have to take a rock hit because they wont be there when your in the rocks. Some light weight aluminum inner fenders to keep the crud off the engine. make Them also quick remove. It would be easy to clean. easy to service and lighten the truck up a LOT off road. Make the truck lighter and your makeing less stress on the drivetrain. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Maybe I'm dreaming but My truck has taken so much body damage that NOTHING is straight on it any more. I also have the potential to get a complete frame and tub for free that I could build on /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

15. Pure Insanity

So Grimmy, what your basicly saying is that the dents have dents? Theres not a straight dent anywhere on Dollar. LOL! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

16. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I got dents that other dents have knocked out /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I have replaced 7 tail lights in 2 years /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

17. Tweetysuarus

well thats only a sign of a real trail rig or you can't see what your runnin into at the mall!LOL!

18. Pure Insanity

Thats alotta tail lites Grimmy! You ought to just take the lenses out before hitting the trail. Think of the money youd save. LOL!

19. Tweetysuarus

Ditto on the removing the lens that adds up alot!

20. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I've twisted the hell out of my Peterbuilt off road making deliveries. Some times the fiberglass hood flexs open 6 or 8 inches. That hasn't caused any perament damage to the hood. But there are guides for the hood to sit in and rubber latches to hold it down. I think if you cage in the front like a race truck and put a fiberglass tilt hood on it would be fine.