Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Food for thought on DW straight out of a GM factory service manual

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jimmy88, Sep 15, 2003.

1. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

Haven't seen any posts link DW and scrub radius together like this:

"The smaller the scrub radius, the better the directional stability. Scrub radius is dramatically increased when aftermarket wheels and tires, that have additional offset, are installed. They may cause the centerline of the tires to move further away from the spindle. This will increase the scrub radius, which in turn reduces the directional stability. <font color="red"> A large amount of scrub radius can cause severe shimmy after hitting a bump. </font> That is why four-wheel drive vehicles with large tires use a steering damper to compensate for an increase scrub radius."

Might be worth looking into, if nothing else we now know why the stock trucks have a steering damper.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Interesting, and it makes sense too. Good find! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

If your not sick of DW posts yet here is one I came across that's about the best I've read yet. yeah I know...just don't look where its from, lol

It is easier to understand if you take a bicycle rim, get the wheel spinning and hold each end of the axle. Now angle the axle like in the post and you'll see it turns just like he says. Nothing like a hands on demonstration.