Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Food for thought

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mercercadet, Jul 19, 2002.

1. mercercadet

mercercadet 1/2 ton status

Alright ya'll,

whats the best food to take on the trail. I'm talking the freeze dried stuff or dehydrated stuff for camping trips where refrigeration isn't always possible....I have MRE's but the wife doesn't think there so hot....go figure...any ideas on what might be some better trail chow?

2. Djroffroad

Djroffroad 1/2 ton status

I alsways eat better camping than I do at home, so that means steak, eggs, bacon, ect..

Something you could go with dehydrated is mashed potatoes.

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I haven't tried this yet, but thought I'd order some and give it a shot: heatermeals Check out the heatermeals Plus.

4. Parf

Parf Registered Member

That new Tuna in the foil pouch is AWESOME!!! Go with the solid white, not the chunk light, of course....
    Summer sausage rocks, uncle bens boil-n-bag rice is easy, how about the little bottle of pancake batter that you add water, shake, then pour onto the griddle? What about gorp? Man can live on gorp alone, after all.

5. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

What is gorp?

6. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

No offense...but you obviously have never been a scout in your life. Gorp is a trail mix. Includes...nuts, raisins, pretzel's, m&m's or chocolate chips, chunked granola, rice chex cereal, dried fruit...etc...etc... At least this is what we use to put in ours when we were out camping and going for hikes.

7. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

You could try making foil babies...LOL!!! We make these every summer with the girl scouts on all their over night camping trip for summer camp.
    Ingredients....chicken/or ground beef....can vegetables of your choice....cream of mushroom or cream of celery soup....salt and pepper to taste....wrap in alumnum(sp) foil with all ends folded tightly and throw in the fire and cook. Check after 30 minutes. It actually tastes pretty good and the chicken/ground beef will hold in a cooler as long as you have plenty of ice.

8. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

I've tried Heatermeals and they are pretty decent.

I was in the Army when they introduced MRE's and I lived through a few different varieties and they've never even come close to Heatermeals. The best deal is the Heatermeal Plus. There are a few different flavors and they include everything you need (including drinks) for under $6.00/ meal.

Keep in mind that they will not taste as good as the 7 course meals your butler serves you at home but they sure beat packing up the campstove and kitchen stuff when you want to take off for a quick weekend trip.

9. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

All you need is GORP /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. mercercadet

mercercadet 1/2 ton status

Those heatermeals look like the way to go...just like an MRE but with real food that tastes good....I guess someone figured out that they could combine good food without the need to be able to survive any climate on earth for years at a time. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

11. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Yea, that's what I thought too, and Goober's tried 'em.

The others are right tho, you should also bring Gorp to munch on thru the day, it helps a lot. People make different kinds (some with more fruit for example). I usually eat gorp through the day, and have one good meal at night.

Also helps to bring packets of hot chocolate, great in the evening as a dessert thing.