Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Foolow up to the shock mount question...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 78Jimmyish, Sep 22, 2001.

1. 78Jimmyish

78Jimmyish 1/2 ton status

What grade bolts should I use for the bottom of the shock? I'm hoping I can find a hardware store open tomorrow.

2. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Grade 8 in my opinion. Better to have it too strong than not enough. The regular grade stuff will hold for about ten miles (ask me how I know) Good Luck. [​IMG]

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

3. 78Jimmyish

78Jimmyish 1/2 ton status

I thought that I had read something about grade 8 being the strongest in tensile strength, but that grade 5 was stronger in shear strength. Since that's what I'll be dealing with with the shock mounts (shear, not tensile) should I use grade 5 instead?

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Just stick with grade 8 bolts and be done with it.

It's going to take a lot more shear strength to break one of these bolts than you think.

<font color=red>I'm a "black top mudder"!!!</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy</a>

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Grade 8 all the way. When I wrecked my Jimmy most of the force went through my front driver side tow hook which was held on with two grade 8 bolts. The frame bent but the bolts held. They didn't even come loose, or show any signs of damage at all.