Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

for a gas to diesel conversion..

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Paxx, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Do I need a fuel tank from a diesel blazer or is there any other type of tank I could use? I'm just thinking that it might be kind of hard to find one around here.

2. RockyRider13

RockyRider13 1/2 ton status

just have it flushed. you will probably need to get a different sender, not sure. Check lmc or somthing to make sure that they are different parts.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I left all my lines hooked up to my old tank. I sat a big jerry can under the front crossmember and with both the supply and return line not hooked up I applied air pressure a little at a time to the return line and basically blew all the gas out of the tank and into the jerry can. When i had nothing but air and bubbles coming out I poured a gallon or two of deisel into the tank and did the same thing (different jerry can though)

It only takes a couple of psi to get the fuel to come out...you don't need to get carried away. I don't imagine the fuel tank was designed for high pressure.

The sender works just fine and I had no fuel related troubles...

Rene

4. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

this is gonna sound like a really dumb question but what exactly is the sender? Is it the fuel pump? I'm starting to get confused because it seems like there is a lot of different fuel pumps on a diesel /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The sender is just a float for the fuel gauge that is in the tank. It doesn't care what type of fuel is in there. The only diff as far as senders goes is some diesel tanks had a water in fuel detector and a drain somewhere near the tank in case you got water in the tank.

The other pumps are the mechanical "Lift pump" (looks and works just like a mechanical fuel pump on a small block) and the injection pump which is on top of the 6.2 and has all the individual fuel lines attached to it.

It makes more and more sense as you work on it and become familiar with what is what. When you get a chance pick up the Haynes diesel manual. I spent countless hours reading it and getting great general info from it.

I'm still a diesel noob, but I can identify all the parts on sight now/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

6. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

I did gas to diesel swap about a year ago.I used gassers tank and sending unit.Works just fine.Only mod I did couple of months ago was to add rubber hose on sending units return line.I had little trouble when it was really cold and my fuel freezed in the tank.