Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

For all of you with NV4500

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Well, of course after I had spent like mega bucks getting that "specialized tranny fluid that only GM and Dodge sells" for that NV4500- WTF do I find at autozone?

Castrol tranny oil "designed to replace part number 12345690" (or whaatever the speicial fluid GM uses the part number for). So here is a SPECIFIC part number replacement.

All I have to say is, crapola! 50 bucks down the drain. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

You know how much it was? 5 dollars a quart!

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Might just be gear oil /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif. The Jeep dealer pissed me off when I called them to ask what kind of fluid I needed to run in my XJ's BA-10 5-speed (thinking it might need ATF or some type of additive). The dude told me it needed "GL-3 transmission lube" and that it was $20 a quart and I would need 5 quarts. I said piss on that no way am I spending $100 on fluid for this POS, so I just went to Auto Zone and bought some regular old gear lube. I happened to read the back and under applications it listed "Where GL-3 compatible lube is required." What kind of bastards would try to get $20/quart out of freaking cheap gear oil? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I just put MTF in mine.

4. odee

odee Registered Member

can you get me a castrol part number? I need some for my tranny when I get it back together. I wonder if all the autozones have it? Do any of you guys know where I might turn up some parts for one of these trannys?

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

its not just "regular" tranny fluid however. There's acutally some special crap they put in it. I searched around, even on the web for the nv4500 fluid, and they all said, "go to the chevy dealer, as the dodge dealer charges you even more for the fluid".

Rediculous. Anyways, the whole reason they have that special fluid is for the friction/clutch material. even the GM bottle didnt have a "GL" rating- just said, "Synthetic Manual Transmision fluid"

In regards to the "part number" I will try to remember to get it for ya the next time Im at autozone. Its where all the other gear lube stuff is.

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Sorry for taking so long, the fluid is called
    "PENNZOIL SYNCROMESH MANUAL TRANSMISSION FLUID"

in fine print on the front is the GM equavalent number, which maches the super pricy stuff at the dealer.

Comes in the nice yellow bottle.

7. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Or you could just use ND30 motor oil. Most construction places around here use that in the 4500 and ZF's in place ot ATF. ATF is a hydraulic fluid and not so much a lubricating fluid. That's why it breaks down so easily under very heavy loads.

8. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

I have run the GM oil (which is a Castrol product I was told), Redline MT90, and Amsoil 2000 syn gear lube. I have over 200 000 mi on this 4500 in 9 years. The RedLine shifts the best but is more expensive than the GM stuff IIRC. The Amsoil 2000 exceeds the GM spec, according to the Amsoil tech rep. I use the same Amsoil 2000 syn gear oil in the 205, and will also run it in the GV OD when it gets installed.

Its good to have the same oil in the 4500 and 205 because my seals between them never seem to last very long.

I looked at a used 4500 for sale one time. It had been run on ordinary non syn oil (I could smell it). It was toast.

9. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Are you putting a GVOD behind the 4500???

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Or you could just use ND30 motor oil. Most construction places around here use that in the 4500 and ZF's in place ot ATF. ATF is a hydraulic fluid and not so much a lubricating fluid. That's why it breaks down so easily under very heavy loads.

[/ QUOTE ]

ATF is nothing more than 5W-30 with a bunch of additives. Switching to 30 weight or non detergent would net no improvement at all in protection in my opinion.

11. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Yes. I'm going to try a GV out behind the 4500 after 6.5 transplant. I don't know how it might work out.

A donor 6.2 truck I bought a few yrs ago had a GV in it.
    It's previous owner dumped the original 700 and went 400/GV. And then dumped the whole truck when the 6.2 began leaking coolant in the oil at 330,000 miles.

I am still not sure if K5 driveshaft will be too short with this lashup.
    And revs...running 32" tires (when towing) w/4.88s, the 4500 in 5th would rev higher than target 1800.
    With 35s I'm at about 2200 at 60mph in 5th gear.