Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

For all the Drummers in here...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Inu-Hanyou1776, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Clicky!

Click on the link for a site that's loaded with 23 outtakes of the Godfather of Heavy Rock Drumming himself, John Bonham of Led Zeppelin, strutting his stuff! And best of all, he's all alone on these mp3's! That means you can hear his technique and sound crystal clear without having to pick it out over Jimmy Page's guitar work or Robert Plant's roaring vocals!

Outtakes were recorded in 1978 during sessions for Zeppelin's 'In Through The Out Door' album of 1979.

Also on this site is a detailed audio file of a specific description of how Mr. Bonham always tuned the drumkits he used and also what drumkits and other equipment he always generally used as well.

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I hate to slag Bonzo, but his chops are less than awe-inspring on that album.

Just my opinion.....

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Coool, always a little hard to hear everything he's doing. Don't hear too many ghost notes in those tracks. You need to see the Carter Buford DVD...the guy from Dave Matthews Band.....

4. Inu-Hanyou1776

Well, those are the best that I've got to work with on hearing him by himself. Can't find any outtakes on the 'net of him from any of their earlier albums. I'd love to hear him by himself playing "In My Time Of Dying" or "Trampled Underfoot" off of Physical Graffiti, or "Black Dog" and "Misty Mountain Hop" off of Zeppelin IV, but can't find any outtakes of him from those albums.

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

My favorite album is "Houses of the Holy". They've got an awesome groove going on throughout the entire album. There's also a lot of cool dynamics within a few of the songs between acoustic and electric guitars, and neither one overshadows the other. Great production qualities.......

"The Ocean" is my alltime fave Led Zep song. Bonzo's in charge all through that song- the other guys are just window dressing.

Once again, my opinion only.

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

It would be cool to hear just the drum track from "Trampled Underfoot".
    I'd like to hear "The Crunge", too.

7. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

want an awesome drummer? check out Neil Peart of RUSH. now that's a drummer :bow: :bow: :bow: . imo of course.

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Well, yeah... Neil ain't bad... :bow: :bow:

9. Inu-Hanyou1776

Speaking of drums, I bought a new set of batter heads for my toms and bass drum today. Bought Remo Weatherking Pinstripe heads in 12", 13" and 16" sizes for the toms, and a 22" Aquarian Super Kick I head for the bass. Drumkit now sounds much, MUCH better, as before then, I was still using the OE Pearl heads that came with the kit on the toms and bass, and those had just about had it. Still using the OE Pearl heads on the resonant sides of ALL my drums, including the snare, as I don't see a need to change those unless I really want to try and change the sound more, and I'm satisfied with the sound right now.