Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

For all the people wanting to use spray in liners

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wayne, Aug 27, 2001.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

If you own a compressor it is alot cheaper to do it yourself. You can go to a autobody supply store and buy the liner and the gun to do it. Last time I priced everything it was less then $250. For about $450 you can get enough material to do the inside, underside, and your rockers.

<font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

2. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Aren't the better spray in liners a hot system, though? (I could be wrong, here, not sure?)

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

3. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

I did my whole truck with Morton Bedliner. It turned out o.k. but I bet I could do better next time.

My bedliner works pretty good against tree braches but I did manage to get one good scratch in it so I will have to re-spray it.

The bed had had some light stuff in it and it chipped out. That may be because my prep wasn't good enough or it isn't thick enough. It is pretty thin in the bed because I was running out of liner. I only used 2.5 quarts for the whole truck. They recomend 1.5 quarts just for the bed.

I would not recomend my type of bed liner for rock crawling or any serious stuff that will result in body damage. The rockers still look great and no chips but like I said it will scratch.

If you have the bucks I'd go with a commercial liner just because they will fix it for free if it gets dammaged.

I think Morton is o.k. for interior stuff but I would be dropping Hi Lift jacks on it.

<font color=red>Spirit of 76</font color=red>

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Yes Pete, the better ones use the "hot system" I guess that's what it's called. Makes the think dry in seconds.

I would like to know what brand of liner would we be using with the A/C? B/c personally, if I would to do the bedliner thing "again", I would put carpet over it, so I wouldn't need it to be the ultimate strength, but as long as it keeps water from getting thruogh, even if I leave it in a wind storm with no doors and top and let it dry on it's own. I like the carpet comfort, I guess you could say :)
    Boss

Pic of my truck Before N' After
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter</a>

5. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

On this same subject, anyone here ever use Zolatone? I'm debating spraying my tailgate and other high-wear spots with it - any warnings?

If the shoe fits, get another one just like it
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

6. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I like the carpet too, I plan to put mine back in when the repair/mods are done, but it sure is nice to be able to cover the seats and not worry about the rest. Except when I did the new rocker panel on the driver's side and left it outside in the rain for a few days, to find there was 3" of standing water in the driver's foot well. Taking the cordless drill to the low spot fixed that, though.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

7. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Zolatone is a hi-end interior paint.
    Our painters do not recommend it for exterior use.
    We have mostly used it in hospitals. Once used, it does not have a long shelf life and it may not mix the same. You can always see a patch or touch up made in Zolatone

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

8. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

OK - I was just thinking of possibilities for my tailgate/interior, and was really hoping for something tough, that I could do myself. Herculiner's out due to the color choices (or lack thereof) I know the Zolatone holds up to fire apparatus compartments really well, but was unsure about Blazer lining.

<a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah I have checked on that stuff. Limited color choices. They didn't have tan or light brown. Only Black, white, red, yellow and blue. With my truck being a roadster I didn't want black. I like the light tan it is now. At night with just the under dash dome I can see pretty well. With the black it would soak up the light and in the sun I am afriad it will be like a solar oven and bake me just as bad as the bare floors do now.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

10. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

11. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

you are right, the hot system last a lot longer.
    waynes way, (or world) you end up spending about 700 dollars. i have had my blazer body, inside and out. no frame. JUST THE BODY priced out for 650 to 700 if i mask it all off and truck it over there. now, if you are like me and dont have the time to even mask it all off then how do you have the time (and some of us space) to do the whole thing.
    i do thanl wayne for the info though.
    some day i will have the time to do this. SOME DAY.
    because even though it might wear off or lose color then YOU can redo it.
    Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

POR 15. 'Nuff said. And you can do it with a brush.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

13. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I asked the company who made the glow in the dark bedliner how much it would be to do the whole Blazer..after the guy said TEN THOUSAND I just said Thanks and hung up. Gee...wish I had money...that would be cool. Be the next UFO.

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!
    If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all!!

14. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

I'm going to have to put new metal in my floor areas, should I use POR 15 under the carpet?

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

15. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

$10 G's!?!?!? A jar of House of Kolor's Kosmic glow in the dark pigment only costs 15 bucks!! Add that to a $50 gallon of clear, and you've got the same effect.

16. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Back when I would go on drinking binges I threw up and it looked just like that [​IMG]. J/K
    My big reasons for wanting a spray in bed liner is to knock down the heat comming off the floor. Sealing the floor is also great to prevent the rust. To do that it needs to be able to be applied thick. POR15 doesn't work like that. Good to stop rust but won't help with the heat. How thick is that stuff?

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

17. xplosuv

xplosuv 1/2 ton status

I used a paint called Hammerrite. Its a thick paint like zolatone and rust preventer/sealer It laid on thick and even. I used a cheap craftsman spray gun and did my interior with half a gallon. sets up nice and is scratch resistant and rust proof.
    good stuff so far.

If you cant go over it...GO THROUGH IT !!! <a target="_blank" href=http://www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com>www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com</a>
    75 Jimmy 11" lift with 40's

18. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

It lays on pretty thick probably about 3/16" to 1/8" - it used to be the bedliner of choice around here, before the RhinoLinings came into play. It's also really common in the compartments of fire trucks and ambulances, and survives well.

19. i used hammerrite on the floor boards of both my rigs and the top on my blazer. i brushed it on the floor boards- then covered with vinyl insert. the top i rattlecanned.

<font color=blue>Striving for K5 world dominance</font color=blue>