Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

for all those frusterated with a leaky slip yoke.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by clancy84, Jun 8, 2005.

1. clancy84

clancy84 Registered Member

I recently went on a crusade to get rid of the leaks on my k5. One of them was the leaking rear output on the slip yoke. I know this is a common problem with this set up, because a lot of the people I have talked to have similar problems.

I started off doing what most of us have tried, yank the seal and put a new one in, along with all the other little tricks, polish the slip yoke shaft etc.

A few days later I noticed it was still leaking, and of course the underside was covered with fresh ATF. I took a close look and noticed the shaft was dry. So I had a feeling that my problem wasn’t the seal.

I pulled the drive shaft and disassembled the slip yoke end so I could get a good look at it. I was afraid that it might be cracked and that was causing the leak. I hit it with a hammer in a few spots to listen for any kind of unusual noise. Everything seemed ok.

I then filled the inside of the shaft with ATF to see if I could get it to leak. Pretty quickly the ATF started to appear in the center of the yoke. I had found my problem.

Judging how the shaft is constructed, it looks like the yoke is machine welded onto the shaft and there is an end cap that goes between the yoke and the shaft to seal it from leaking. :rolleyes: And you would have to cut the yoke off the shaft to get to it. I suppose it could also be a cracked end of the shaft its self, but I doesn’t really matter one way or another.

The solution: I scuffed up the area around the leak including the cap. I also scribed a grove around where to two pieces look like they meet. I gave it a thorough bath in solvent, and used some JB weld for one of the few things I trust it for. I filled the recess in with the JB weld so there would be less chance of a problem later on.

Its been about a week and everything is dry as a bone.

I would imagine there are some guys who know about this, and there are a lot of guys like me who have been frustrated trying to get rid of this leak, so I figured I would pass this on.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

thanks i will half to try this next one i play with.:cool1:

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

yep that hole is there to prevent a grease lock since the splines are "supposed" to fit so tight that it isnt supposed to leak, but they do. JB weld is your friend in this case :D

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My friend learned this in his car with a TH350. Same thing, yokes have holes in the center of them.

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Yeah, i had that problem before, just welded the cap on.

6. BL1TZKRIEG

BL1TZKRIEG 1/2 ton status

good bit of info thanks ;)

7. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Same problem, JB to the rescue

I had a leaking slip yoke as well. JB did the trick. Given the # of posts on this subject we should have a tech write up on ck5. I would do it but was too pressed for time to take photos.

8. richheezee

richheezee 1/2 ton status

What's up Scott, this is Rich from BF. Nice write up. Shoot me an email to RichHeezee@hotmail.com when you get a chance. Thanks