Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

For all who burn Candles Or Have Friends/Family That Do....PLEASE READ...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Donna, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

I was sent this by a very reliable source. I have never used the gel candles personally but the lady who went this to me use to use them all the time. Anyway....I know several women that love thee smell of burning candles so I thought this was worth sharing.

Actual Story.......
    > > > > >My (not me) former secretary had a terrible thing
    > > > >happen to her and her
    > > > > >family last week, and I wanted to share it with all
    > > > >of you so that you could
    > > > > >be warned and warn your friends and family as well.
    > > > >She had a gel candle
    > > > > >burning in her bathroom ... it exploded and caught
    > > > >her house on fire. The
    > > > > >house burned down and they lost everything. The Fire
    > > > >Marshall told her that
    > > > > >this is not the first incident where a gel candle has
    > > > >exploded and caused a
    > > > > >fire. He said that the gel builds up a gas and often
    > > > >times it explodes and
    > > > > >sets fire to the room it is in, which is what
    > > > >happened to her. The fire was
    > > > > >so hot it melted the smoke alarm, and they didn't
    > > > >discover the fire until
    > > > > >there was an explosion, which was her toilet blowing
    > > > >up, and then it was too
    > > > > >late...the entire upstairs was engulfed in flames.
    > > > >Smoke damage and water
    > > > > >damage have destroyed what wasn't destroyed by fire.
    > > > >Please pass this along
    > > > > >to anyone I missed. I wouldn't want this to happen to
    > > > >anyone else. Her
    > > > > >family is devastated. All their mementos and
    > > > >everything of value and meaning
    > > > > >are gone.

Readers Additional Comments.
    Marty and I know a lady who loves the gel
    > > > >candles. She had one burning
    > > > > >on her mantle and it caught fire just like the
    > > > >message above. She was at
    > > > > >home at the time and saw it happe! n and grabbed the
    > > > >candle to keep it from
    > > > > >setting her home on fire and it came apart in her
    > > > >hand. She saved her home
    > > > > >but suffered 3rd degree burns to her hand and 3
    > > > >fingers. Please if you or
    > > > > >anyone you know have these candles, don't light them,
    > > > >they are dangerous.
    > > > > >Please pass this along.

> > > > >And as if those two stories weren't enough...My
    > > > >husband was home on vacation
    > > > > >and had a gel candle lit on the top of the
    > > > >entertainment center. He too saw
    > > > > >the candle burst into flames. His first instinct was
    > > > >to blow the candle out.
    > > > > >Well, that didn't work, so he blew harder....the gel
    > > > >from the candle
    > > > > >splattered and went everywhere. Everywhere included
    > > > >his face. He had 1st,
    > > > > >2nd and 3rd degree burns all over his face. The gel
    > > > >doesn't cool like wax
    > > > > >does, so the bits that were still on his face
    > > > >continued to burn him. And
    > > > > >you can't wipe the stuff off, it just rolls up and
    > > > >keeps burning. Please
    > > > > >don't use gel candles. Fortunately his scars are not
    > > > >noticeable now, but
    > > > > >the "what ifs" are tremendous.

> > > > >We had a similar experience. I had received as a gift
    > > > >a gel candle from
    > > > > >Avon. It was contained in a wine goblet, was sort of
    > > > >purple gel with
    > > > > >glitter in the gel. We had it on our dresser in the
    > > > >bedroom. Once when it
    > > > > >was burning, the entire solid turned to liquid and
    > > > >the glitter pieces
    > > > > >"jumped" randomly out of the wine glass, taking drops
    > > > >of gel with it,
    > > > > >getting all over the dresser and window curtain. A
    > > > >weird scene to say the
    > > > > >least. Needless to say, I put the flame out and
    > > > >emptied the remaining
    > > > > >liquefied gel into the toilet.
    > > > > > > > > > > > >

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Donna,

I have heard this as well- from people who actually HAD it happen to them- none of them lost their house- but they HAVE exploded--- if you want a REALLY good smelling candle-- check out yankee candle-- they are located in northern Mass- we go to the factory- sales shop at least every 6 weeks the candles burn forever- and there are like 5000000000000 different scents (okay not that many but still)

be safe- toss the gel candles!

brandy

3. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

Re: For all who burn Candles Or Have Friends/Family That Do....PLEASE READ.

I'm sorry to be the skeptic in the group, but I find most of that as an over dramatization, and an urban legend... Toilets don't explode, and the fire detector, unless it was direclty under the candle, would have gone off before it melted. also, 99.99999999% of all gel candles I've ever seen came in Glass Containers. if the glass disentegrates, then there's something else wrong there. also, blowing on something to put it out would shoot the gel towards the walls, not at the person blowing. perhaps if they were on the other side and someone else blew it in thier face. also, contrary to popular belief, any candle will start a fire, if oyu leave it burning all night. thats what I refer to as `darwinisim at work' what if say, the cat knocks over the candle? or the toilet explodes out from under the candle....

also, where does this gas of great explosiveness build up at? inside the candle? where does the gas come from? if its from the act of the candle burning, wouldn't it be a safe bet that the burning wic would burn off any gas? if I had to make an educated guess at these `candle explosions' I'd say that probably if you leave them burning, and they don't have something like a glass wrapped around them, or a glass base capable of catching the entire candle should it melt, then they melt, and let fire get everywhere, just like a standard candle left to burn all night.

sorry, but the world of virus hoaxes has jaded me to anything passed on by `someone who knew someone who had it happen' with that said, let me tell you all about the biggest, danger to you all out there!

THIS IS DEVASTATING!! this happened to one of my brothers friends parents! they heard all about this new antifreeze made by Zerex that would protect beter then prestone, and wouldn't kill the animals when they dumpted it in the street 5 years later. so, they bought it and put it in thier radiator. if only they knew this information then that we do now... they put the cap on the radiator, and drove it. everything was going fine until one day thier engine started to overheat. so, they got out to check the radiator and the fluid. as they went to turn the cap, the whole radiator exploded, raining hot radiator fluid, and shrapnel all over everyone as they stood there. they suffered 3rd and 4th degree burns over 80% of ther bodies, and extreme lacerations from flying bits of the radiator. when the tow truck guy came buy, he verified that this wasn't the first time a radiator full of Zerex antifreeze had exploded. in fact, its more common then you might think. here's several other stories from real people

a japanese gentleman Notfo Yutuno put some in his radiator. later that month, he got in an accident., and the raidiator exploded, shooting antifreeze everywhere. he recieved some 7th degree burns, and lost his hamstring from flying shrapnel of the radiator ( it was not from being pinned by a semi into a guard rail)

the next is from a older lady who was the victim of her mechanics carelessness... Mrs Ima durdee-lyur's radiator reached a temperature of 220 degrees on a hot sumer day, and when she leaned on it, her hand exploded into flames, killing her hand, and leaving burned hand stink all over the radiator.

so don't use Antifreeze in your car, ESPECIALY NOT ZEREX!!!

-Rich

PS, before anyone with a medical history points out that burns only goto 3rd degree, I know. I'm a scoutmaster, and I've survived deep 2nd degree burns. its merely to point out the ludicrousness of most of these lies.

4. Glock Girl

Glock Girl Registered Member

Found this same story on a urban legend site here is why (sorry for so long but you cant link the site)
    Origins: Yes, gel candles do pose fire and injury hazards beyond those presented by ordinary wax candles, so they should be accorded an extra bit of caution if you're thinking of bringing them into your home. However, as with so many e-mailed warnings, the explanation provided about what goes on is sadly in error and leaves those who are "educated" by it in the dark about what they should really be paying attention to as they are instead misled into worrying about the mysterious (and non-existent) explosive properties of the gel.

Contrary to what this e-mailed warning would have you believe, gel candles do not "build up a gas" that causes them to explode. The "gel" in gel candles is composed of substances that burn slowly and non-combustively. Akin to the wax of traditional candles, the mysterious substance's purpose is to slowly feed the wick an continuous supply of fuel, thus keeping the candle burning bright for a long time. Even if it were safe to use, a combustive substance would expend itself far too quickly for any candle manufacturer to put it to this use.

There is a special danger inherent to gel candles, but it has to do with the effect of heat on the containers that house them, not with the gel itself. If the material used to contain the goo is not sufficiently resilient, it can shatter (i.e., "explode") as the concentrated heat of the candle's flame compromises it. The glass containers used to hold these popular fragrance candles are sometimes not made strong enough to withstand the heat they are called upon to contain. Heat makes things expand, and in this case it can cause the glass that houses the gel candles to shatter. There's no mysterious gas that builds up, no strange chemical reaction brought on by dangerous unnamed substances reacting to God-knows-what, just ordinary expansion due to heat. Leave a coffee mug sitting on a hot burner long enough, and you'll see the same thing.

In this manner, a gel candle can explode in someone's hands, resulting in dire burns as the hot gel flows out to coat the victim's extremities. For this reason, it's important not to move either a lit gel candle or one that has recently been extinguished. Extinguish the candle and let it cool, then move it.

Additionally, some lit gel candles have been observed to flare up, producing flames shooting a few inches into the air, but these candles were quickly recalled by their manufacturers (e.g., the 1998 recall of 1.7 million Glade gel candles that produced flames 3 inches above the top of 2.5 inch containers). Should you encounter a gel candle that flares like this, extinguish it promptly, don't use it again, and contact the manufacturer for a refund.

As for a fire started by a gel candle being "so hot it melted the smoke alarm," such a result wouldn't have anything to do with whatever the candle was made from, but rather with the contents of the home that became fuel for the growing conflagration. Also, that a fire can (and often does) become hot enough to melt a smoke detector does not, as the e-mail states, mean the melting occurs seconds after the blaze starts, and therefore no warning is issued. Smoke detectors are routinely found melted into blobs the aftermath of house fires, but these are the same smoke detectors that went off as soon as smoke was sensed, alerting residents to the fire.

That gel candles will explode due to heat expansion shattering their glass containers outward is fact; that they're made of a mysterious chemical that touches off for no reason, with the uncontrolled burning of this substance resulting in immediate flash fires that melt everything in their path in a scant matter of seconds, is pure invention.

Because the heat expansion effect on the glass housings of gel candles poses a real danger, this form of romantic lighting should not be left lit for more than an hour or two. In common with all candles, they should not be allowed to burn unattended (which includes not leaving them lit while you drift off to sleep) or left in reach of a child, even for half a moment. Unattended candles of all stripes have started fires in which lives have been lost, so don't take that caution lightly. As for kids and lit candles, it only takes half a second to cause a lifetime's worth of scars.

If there's a power outage, be careful with the candles you use. Don't use a lit candle to check inside a cupboard or closet (this is a light source that also sets things on fire, remember, such as items hanging in a closet), and certainly never take a lit candle with you to check on what you think might be a fuel leak.

5. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

allright, I'll believe that one, it actually makes sense /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

thankyou for your piece of investiative reporting.

-Rich

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Shelby Spotter on the scene with Action News...Dun Dun Duh, Film at eleven ./forums/images/icons/wink.gif Dang no strange alien chemicals, or conspiracy theories.../forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

7. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

If anyone send you anything thats form a friend of a friend or by not me but someone i trust, it is garbage. NEVER LET CANDLES BURN UNATTENDTED thats it the worlds safiest cadle will burn your house down if you let it sit there without watching it. Melting a fire alarm before it goes off HA! GOD i hate these things, thanks for watching out for us, but i cant stand these emails that fill my box with missinformed information, sorry again just a peve.

8. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

I hate to be the bearer of bad news BUT GEL CANDLES DO COME IN GLAS CONTAINERS! ! ! ! ! I am looking at one as I type this! ! ! Secondly...if you blow directly on top of the candle instead of from the side....the gel will come back in your face. I had it happen with a regular wax candle. Before you go stating that these are lies...you should consider what you yourself have just posted. I did a search for this on the many web sites that carry hoaxes and can't find anything listed anywhere.

9. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

Oh and 1 more thought....smoke detectors have been known to melt before going off if the smoke detector has dead batteries init. I have heard of this happening many times.

10. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

OK, First of all the fire alarm WILL NEVER go off if the batteries are DEAD and/or removed, did you think the batteries are just for blinking light? and yes they will melt, they are plastic. {they are smoke detectors, they detect smoke, smoke comes before fire, fire creates heat, heat melts the plastic, unless battires are dead smoke should set off alarm before fire heats the plastic.) I suppose they (fire alarms) are not fail proof.

11. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Alright before this gets too heated lets just say that Donna informed us of a serious problem with these candles.Thank you Donna, and that Glock Girl let us know what the mystery was behind this problem. Thank you Glock Girl, I don't think anyone needs to read anymore into this than that, unless theres aliens involved.../forums/images/icons/wink.gif Now mellow..../forums/images/icons/cool.gif

12. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

You can say that again... our family friend, she lit a candle (not gel) and blew it out went to bed... later on the smoke alarm goes off and their kitchen counters were up in smoke. She thought she blew it out but is fused back up later on. Worked out though... the cupboards were old and they hated them and insurance covered it... so really it was like the candles way of inspriing a remodling of the kitchen... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif