Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

For all you runners.....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by NEK5, Sep 13, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

What is normal procedure, before and after jogging? like stretches and the like....I decided that I`m going to attack my "condition", and hit the ground running, and try to keep up with it, and I think jogging would be good cardiac, and i`ve been walkin alot lately with an old friend of mine(he was my friends neighbor, and we`re both in the same boat, except he`s 40)....so I figure I`ll give it a shot, and hopefully it works like I would like it to....

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

As in "arrest"? :rotfl:

The term you're looking for is cardio, my friend.

Yes, running or even jogging will do the trick. Keep an eye on your heartbeats per minute and adjust your stride according to your fitness goals. It's been awhile since I used to train a lot, but IIRC, subtract your age from 220 and come up with your Maximum Heart Rate. To burn fat, keep your BPMs between 70 and 80% of your MHR.

FWIW, I recommend skipping rope if you wanna get in shape. It's a better overall workout and isn't as hard on your joints.

3. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I dont run a lot but I race Mountain Bikes for a hobby. I ride 3 to 5 times a week. 6 years ago I started riding 5 miles to work a few days a week. I lost 35 pounds in 3 months. I also do indoor rock climbing. Talk about building upper body. Running is great for your body but you are going to hurt at 1st. just keep running through the pain. it is only temporary. streatch out good before and take potasium for recovery.

4. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Swimming is also a great exercise.

5. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Stretching before and after is key. Warm up, cool down. Jog around the block a time or two, stretch, and then run. When you finish, walk around the block a couple more times, and stretch. When you stop, and you're breathing hard, walk upright with you hands behind your head- it allows your lungs to work at maximum capacity, doing their best.

If you're like me, you'll need to find out what's wrong with you, so you can get shoes to correct it. Go to a running shoe store (not Big5, or anything like that unless you can avoid it- you need professionals). Go with a name brand if you can. Some people say Nikes are the best, but New Balance does better for me, and Adidas comes second. Costs more, but my old coach related it like so:

"I've been running for thirty years, and still have my knees, because I didn't ever skimp on what shoes I bought." It'll be worth it in the long run. I bought ****ty shoes, and now I can't run anymore. When on the road, try for the side- run on gravel, people's lawns, trails, basically trying to avoid concrete (in my experience). This will further reduce impact.

It a joint, ligament, or tendon hurts, ice it. If muscles hurt, ice it, rest for a while, and then gently heat it.

Mmm... rambling...

6. NEK5

thanks, i knew i had the wrong word:doah:

thanks all for the advice

7. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I second jumping rope.. also, if you have access to a heavy bag, get an egg timer to keep track of yourself, and pound the bag full tilt for 30 second rounds and skip rope in between.. the beer gut will just melt away.

If you really want to be a jogger though, be sure to incorporate some interval training.. while you are jogging, pick an object about 20 yards out, like a mailbox, then sprint past it full tilt, then resume your normal jogging pace.. my isssue with using jogging to lose weight is that most people don't vary their pace and just plod along.. the body gets used to that pace and simply quits responding. proper cardio training means a varied pace, and pushing yourself.

And watch the diet.. diet is as important if not more important than what you do for exercise.. go with lots of small meals through the day to keep your metabolism working.

Tom

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Start off slow. Get a stopwatch. Start by walking for 5 mins and then run/jog for 1. Repeat 5 times (1/2 hour total). After a couple of weeks walk 4:30 and run/jog 1:30. After another week or 2 go to 4:00 / 2:00. You get the picture.

As the weeks go on try to run more quickly. This allows everything to get used to running without tearing anything up. You will not be sore or injured and will, by the end you will be able to run 1/2 hour at a fast clip. Build from that base and start using a heartrate monitor etc.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

stretching before you run is key to avoiding injury while you are out there... always do that. IMO stretching when you finish is much less important. A simple cool-down walk (the last 100 yards of your run if you like) will work fine.

j

10. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

fart·lek (färt'lĕk) [​IMG]
    n.
    1. An athletic training technique, used especially in running, in which periods of intense effort alternate with periods of less strenuous effort in a continuous workout.
    2. A workout using this technique.
    [Swedish, speed play : fart, running, speed (from fara, to go, move, from Old Norse) + lek, play (from leka, to play, from Old Norse leika).]

:D One high school team's shirts had fartlek on the front, followed by: It's a running thing.

11. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey bigben... you're a big guy, right? Running might not be the best option for you. The stress that it puts on your body, knees in particular, can often lead to serious problems. I tried running to get back into shape and found it to be too rough on my body. If you really want to improve your cardiovascular fitness, buy a punching bag and do some interval training with it. I started about a month ago and have dropped 21 lbs and three inches off the waist. Having boxed as a kid, I knew that it was a great total body workout that puts much less stress on the lower body. Good luck man!

12. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You forgot the added benefit that you get to hit something. Stress relief on a chain.

13. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah.. whumping on something is very cathartic..

14. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Thats about all I'd be able to do anymore,if your joints are shot and/or your back is toasted I wouldnt recomend running.I wish I could still go for a run...:o

15. NEK5

would only being 17 change anyones opinions? as far as running goes?

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

swimming is prolly the best excesize you could ever get. Problem is, not everyone has a pool or easy/cheap access to one. Running is better for me... helps stave off kidney stones better. Each little jarring impact helps knock tiny crystals off the meat of the kidney where it can flow out with the urine... before it becomes golf-ball sized...

j

17. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Absolutely not. I destroyed myself in high school, and am 19 now.

18. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

Definitely if you are a big guy do something else. Jump on an elliptical, ride a bike, jump rope, punch a bag. Also like stated earlier, dont skimp on the shoes. Running magazines give good advice on shoes. Shoes can make or break you. Wear the wrong ones and it causes leg, knee, and back injuries.

Stretch beforehand and then do a cool down walk afterwards. Interval training is best. You run at the same speed and you really wont get in the best shape. If you can find a track, try to build yourself up by at first walking the curves and jogging the straights and then jogging both straights and walking a curve. Build yourself up to running the straights and jogging the curves and go for longer distances as you progress.