Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

For all you Union haters

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by k5james, Sep 24, 2004.

1. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

This is why I am and always will be (unless Bush gets his wish) a card carrying Union Man.

A couple of years ago a we had a truck that was loaded with about 20 aliens in the bed that we attempted to stop. Of course knowing our weak pursuit policy the driver failed to yeild and led our agents on a fairly long chase. Well to make a long story short we finally were able to get some agents ahead of the vehicle to lay a spike strip to spike the tires. The driver seeing the agent's vehicles and the spikes veered towards the agents, nearly hitting one. When the driver veered he the spikes only caught the tires on one side of the vehicle and that along with his erratic driving caused him to lose control and he flipped over an embankment. Needless to say a few aliens passed away and there were numerous injuries.

The Supervisor who was the pursuit manager that day followed the pursuit policy to a T and did everything within the scope of his authority. He was immediately suspended pending the investigation. His punishment came down and it was recommended that he be either dropped down to a Journeyman Level Agent and suspended without pay for 60 days or be terminated. Well, of course the Union went to bat for him and filed an appeal. The Gov. allowed him to come back to work as "Maintenance Supervisor" until the matter was solved.

I just found out today that he was allowed to remain a Supervisor but would have to change stations and he would still have to serve the remaining 45 days of his suspension. It is still BS that he has to serve his suspension and move stations but it's better than the alternative. Without the Union he would have been canned.

Just something to think about.

2. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

You border patrol??

3. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

yep /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

you guys are union? thought you had an association - a lil diff from a union.. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

LIKE i SAID BEFORE : you got one cruddy job there buddy I wouldn't want it , unless you got to "take the gloves off!" /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    This is why I am and always will be (unless Bush gets his wish) a card carrying Union Man.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf is that even supposed to mean?

bush gonna take away your card or something? gimme a fawkin break.

j

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Know in your heart that I applaud any deaths you may or may not cause preventing illegal activity

8. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i hate onions! theyre nasty! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    although when used as an ingredient in some cases really works well.

9. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

We will still have a Union but it will be effectively powerless. There will be no more due process. In the case above the Agent would have had to take his punishment and that's it.

10. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

I know what you're trying to say but I feel bad for the people that died, it's just too bad they driver wasn't the one that bit it. The dirtbags always seem to come out of a caper like that without a scratch.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf is that even supposed to mean?

bush gonna take away your card or something? gimme a fawkin break.

j

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly, jek.

You're union? Thanks but no thanks. Take a hike!

12. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

You know if comufornia wasnt so liberal this never would have ben an issue in the first place. Normal human thought says "hey they died while breaking the law, thats their fault". Comufornia thought says "OMG the border patrol killed those people that were fleeing their opressive country" That is why california sux.

Nick

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

word tim. I'm not a fan of collectivism. In the begining it starts with the best of intentions... but in the end it ALWAYS results in corruption, bullcrap political powerplays and other chit like that. Back in Marx day, there was serious worker issues. These days, in the US anyway, if you are truly screwed by your employer, you can get a good lawyer, sue and win a hundred gazillion dollars and retire. I'm not a fan of lawyers in general, but considering what they can do for someone in a screwed-worker position, its hard to argue that the working man is a completely defenseless runt without a union.

All of that said, people can join whatever kind of groups they want. I don't care. What I do care about though is jobs/plants where you HAVE to be a union member to work there. Thats total bullcrap. Also, big unions that spend tons of members money supporting political candidates is bullcrap too. You shouldn't be able to take "worker a" 's money and give it to the candidate he vehemently opposes. Thats completely morally indefensible.

j

14. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

I don't hate unions, I hate the blue bloods that won't accept a person because he organized in.
    I learned my trade outside of the union, tried to go union and got treated like shat for the entire 2 years, even tho I followed the agreement, and the unwritten rules of brotherhood.
    The union wouldn't be a bad thing if they would shed the worthless few that ruin it for everyone.
    /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

15. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The union wouldn't be a bad thing if they would shed the worthless few that ruin it for everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

They would form a union to avoid being shed... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    word tim. I'm not a fan of collectivism. In the begining it starts with the best of intentions... but in the end it ALWAYS results in corruption, bullcrap political powerplays and other chit like that. Back in Marx day, there was serious worker issues. These days, in the US anyway, if you are truly screwed by your employer, you can get a good lawyer, sue and win a hundred gazillion dollars and retire. I'm not a fan of lawyers in general, but considering what they can do for someone in a screwed-worker position, its hard to argue that the working man is a completely defenseless runt without a union.

All of that said, people can join whatever kind of groups they want. I don't care. What I do care about though is jobs/plants where you HAVE to be a union member to work there. Thats total bullcrap. Also, big unions that spend tons of members money supporting political candidates is bullcrap too. You shouldn't be able to take "worker a" 's money and give it to the candidate he vehemently opposes. Thats completely morally indefensible.

j

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Unions are just like 4wd clubs. They start with good intentions but end up political entities that screw it up for everyone.

100 years ago, unions were required to keep workers ALIVE while they were at work. Nowadays there's way too much protection without unions that they're useless.

Agreed 100%. Every state in the union should be a right-to-work state IMO.

The thing that pisses me off the most is the union's control of the labor rate. Labor is so expensive nowadays that nobody can afford to hire an American. We work slowly, and for high wages. Then they get pissed off and strike, profit goes to ZERO, and they bring a company to its knees and expect the world. Nobody can afford that crap so it goes overseas. What have the unions accomplished now?

17. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif I.A.F.F. Lo. 624 /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

(shameless plug in the event this thread gets lock up) /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

18. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

yeah...I'm not a big Union believer, the hospital I work at is 100% union...except us 'temps'...been there 2 yrs, and they keep askin me why I don't wanna be hired. Their union sucks...I know a nurse thats worked there 16 yrs, get let go because (while she was on limited duty for her back) she was pushing a patient in a wheel chair. There is also a POS that shows up to work 2.5 days a week (literally) thats 'full time' and they union won't let them fire her (guys this has been her routine now for almost 2 yrs, and she's still employed!) I see how this union works, and have heard similiar accounts from friends in other Unions.

Unions weren't started to protect the crap employee, I know...but there are labor laws on the books now so the average worker isn't screwed over...so why do I need to pay the union to have a job. Even a non-union company has to be able to justify firing someone(ie show a trend w/said employee), to prevent a possible law suit. I don't need a union to take MY money so they can defend the POS I don't want to work with and that allows the one I do want to work with to be fired.

19. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

It's BS and giving credit to the union is not where to go with something like this; it's more of worthless fawking brass with cotton cajones who don't have a fawking clue.........................

And if y'all want a counter, I worked at a place one time where a guy got fired because he was Mexican. This was a simple case with overwhelming evidence. The union did absolutely nothing to help the guy out. He had to pay out of his own pocket to take the company to court and he ended up getting his job back.

20. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Can anybody tell me WTF a cashier at the Safeway store needs a union for? Law enforcement and firemen need unions, because they are in a position where they are easily taken advantage of by the municipalities they serve. Even then, as has been said here many times, while the CONCEPT of a union is noble, the end result is usually that the union existis to serve the union. Te union is all about the union, and only the union. I still wanna know WTF a clerk at Safeway needs a freakin union.