Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

For all you with the side panel subwoofer boxs

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Z3PR, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm consittering building (Or having built) custom side panel sub boxs. The only thing is the subs I want require 4.5 cubic feet per subwoofer. So how big would boxs like that have to be ??? I want part of the box to go over the wheel well so I can fire the port tube tords the front of the truck. Still want to use 15 inch MMATS Juggernauts

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Can't anybody give me a idea how big the boxs will have to be ???

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

4.5 Cubic Feet! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Paul, what are you asking? Do you not know how to calculate volumes of boxes, triangles, etc...? Or are you looking for the strategy to determine how to make it all fit?

Gimme some clues, brother!!

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Don't know how to do any of that. I've never built a sub boxs befor. Basicly I'm thinking simular to your boxs only with the speakers behind the rear seat. Would like part of the boxs to go over the wheel wells so I can point the port tubes tords the front of the truck. The speakes themselves would be facing eachother on each side of the back of the truck behind the rear wheel wells. I'm thinking 15" MMATS Juggernauts becouse I want outragous bass even with a soft-top. I plan on going soft-top year round. I'm looking more for loud deep hitting bass being basicly topless. Just wanted to know with these kind of boxs, about how far from the sides would they stick out to get the 4.5 cubic feet inside each one ????

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

OK, here's the basic strategy I would use...and some simple math to get you started:

1 cubic foot = 1728 cubic inches (12" x 12" x 12")
    You need 4.5 cubic feet so it's (1728 * 4.5 = 7776 cu in)
    I'd add about 10% more for bracing and speaker displacement ...(7776 + 776 = 8552 cu in)

NOW:

Figure out what your "fixed" dimensions are. My guess is that the "floor to bedrail" is the one you can't change so make that a fixed number (I think it's typically around 19" tall)

Divide your total number by that "fixed" dimension (8552 / 19 = 450 cu in.) That 450 cu in represents what you have left for the other two dimensions.....

Let's say you are able to make the box 20" long (from the wheelwell area to the rear tailgate)....divide that number out of what's left: (450 / 20 = 22)

From that example, your final dimension (how far the box will stick out from the sides) is 22 inches.

So the overall dimensions would be: 19 inches tall, 20 inches long, and 22 inches deep. Mulitply them all back together to double-check your calcs: 19 * 20 * 22 = 8360 (close enough, I rounded some of the numbers off in the example above)

So that's an idea how to start. It really helps to built a "mock up" box out of cardboard, and start figuring out how big you can make it in certain directions. Carboard and masking tape are a LOT easier and cheaper to play with than MDF!!!!

Hope that helps you get started.....sometimes it's the first step that's the hardest.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

What I want to do is build new side panels for each side with the side panels being boxs for the subwoofers. My side panels are tore up, so I think it'd take care of 2 problems at once.

7. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Build the enclosure and then build the panels to cover them. Save time and looks better ;-) Also port the enclosures to the rear and make sure the subs are not in direct alignment or they will cancel each other out.

8. grendel

grendel 1/2 ton status

Got pics of this?

9. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

Go to a professional stero shop and get them to design you a box. Build your box from their plans. Trust me...every single subwoofer has a specifc size box with a port or vent the exact location..not just where you want it to port.