Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

??? for car audio pro's

Discussion in 'Audio' started by jarheadk5, Sep 20, 2001.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

??? for car audio pro\'s

Need some professional car audio help here with the factory stereo system in my wife's '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse.
    It's the Infinity Premium sound system, with a power antenna and a rear-window in-glass antenna. The tuner is supposed to use Diversity Tuning for better radio reception, but it seems to work on it's own schedule. At times, when I turn the radio on it will be all static until the power antenna gets all the way up. Then the reception will be OK, but not great. But then at other times, the radio will be pretty clear when I turn it on, and once the antenna is all the way up, it's almost impossible to get any static in the radio, even in the places around my area that are known for their crappy radio reception. Local geography and weather seems to have no bearing on these symptoms.
    What I need to know are any troubleshooting steps I could take, and if there's any "pro tricks" to get this thing to work more reliably. My Chilton's manual has next-to-nothing in it for the stereo system. Thanks for any help you can give.

September 11, 2001--"A date which will live in infamy"

2. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

Re: ??? for car audio pro\'s

go to crutchfield.com im pretty sure they can help ya

WHATS WRONG WITH A 305 ?

3. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

sounds like the internals on the radio are messed up... Is there still a warranty on the car? If there is take it back to mits. and see if the radio is under warranty.. If it isnt then i would look into an aftermarket radio.. Now look at crutchfield for prices but personally i would buy from a local stereo shop.. now if you can install it yourself then you will be saving money on it.. but if you cant then check into local stereo shop (specialty shops) and talk to them, there customers, etc.. and get a feel for the shop.. basically you will want to find out if they know what they are doing... Also i know crutchfield usually sells the wiring harness that will adapt an aftermarket radio to the premium sound system.. you might want to look into this also.. As for you problem it sounds like the distance mode on your radio isnt working correctly... all newer radios do it internally and you have no control over it... Hope this helps..

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

UGGGGHH! I was hoping for something like a connector that's a known troublemaker, or something like that. I can install my own, so maybe I'll call Crutchfield and see if there's any tips they can give me. Otherwise, I'll just have to live with this until we can afford a new head unit...

5. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

call mits. and see if there is a recall on it... you never know...

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

6. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I don't see how a connector would have anything to do with a problem like this. I also don't know if the head unit is to blame. A diversity antenna just means there are 2 antennas instead of one, and whichever one has the best reception will be used. Your car is constantly switching from one antenna to the other...and the changes are so quick, you can't even hear it. They help with multipath quite a bit, but if you don't live in a big city, I don't see that many benefits.
    I never had to do any repair work with diversity antennas when I used to install car stereos, so keep in mind what I'm saying here is my best guess.
    Think about this. There has to be some kind of "brain" or something that decides when to switch from antenna to antenna. Something that measures the signal strength and quality. If that was inside the stock deck, then you couldn't put an aftermarket deck in the car and expect the antennas to work right. But I put new radios in cars like that all the time with no antenna trouble. Do you see what I'm saying? I'm just not totally convinced that the deck is to blame. So before you spend a few bills on a new deck, go talk to the dealer about your problem.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Problem is, the local Mitsu dealer is real anal about saying ANYTHING about a vehicle problem without looking at the vehicle first, thereby getting the minimum $75 "diagnostic" fee. I don't have $75 to throw at the problem right now, so I was hoping for some free advice on things to check, locations of connectors, etc.

As far as the connectors go, many times an electrical problem in our helicopters (and a couple times with my vehicles) would go away after disconnecting and reconnecting the connectors a couple times. Didn't matter what kind of connectors (coax, cannon plug, slip-fit, weatherpak, etc.); maybe a spot of corrosion or a little dirt between contacts.

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Anyone else able to give assistance here?

9. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

only thing i can say is go get a manual on the car or stop by the local car audio shops in town and ask them about it.... If i was you i would start with the local shops since most of them have delt with those type of ant. before...

Prembird