Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

? for metal people??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sapper, Jul 16, 2004.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

been working on getting my dodge 60 ready to go in, the way the brakes were set up it had one line going down the center by the diff then two line going out to the calipers, when i pulled all this crap off i found that the bolts holding the main line went all the way through the axle tube, ie i can see the axle shaft, my question is do i just have someone weld up the hole, or weld the bolt into the tube and grind it off???? I dont know so any tips would help!!

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

since this is non critical you can go either way,,,, with the warning that unless you can have something on the inside to catch the welding spatter (if youre migging or using stick) you would have all kinds of junk going inside the tube,,, not a good thing floating around in gear oil....

welding a "plug" (bolt etc) would work just fine....

now if you can tig you can do either because welding spatter wont be a concern
    cam

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Should not be any gear oil in the tube itself. I know the bolt being referred to. I wold thread it in tight and cut it off and weld on top of it anyway.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Bet that hole is the vent. If it is the vent then you need to retain it and run a vent line up somewhere.

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

There are 3 holes. One in the middle for the T block fitting and one on each end for the hard-> stoft line connection (at least that is how mine is set up). I would just worry abou the larger hole in the middle. Put a bolt in it so if you decide you want a center drop line the parts will still work.

6. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]

Its not the vent, you can see it in this pic holding the brake line, i will leave the bolt in it untill it starts to be something i have retighten to much and tack it in, thanks for all the input guys.