Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

For my next stupid question...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by babyburb, Feb 20, 2007.

1. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

Tire shop told me I need to look at my Ujoints. I started checking and I believe I have a couple that need to be replaced. I have no idea what I am looking for so here is a couple of ???
    1. Just how many u-joints do I have?
    2 rear drive shaft
    2 front drive shaft
    2 on the D44 knuckles
    2. are they all the same size? I thought about carrying a couple extra but does one size fit all?
    3. I know the different sizes (1310, 1350, 1410, 1480) are thicker and stronger going up, but what size for the 3/4 ton burb.
    4.Spicer Life U-joint's? ($24, $24, $29, $54) Good Deal?

Some advise for the newbie?

2. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i believe 6 is the total number for a k5. on front shaft, 2 on rear, and one for each axleshaft on the front. supposedly, all the driveshaft joints are the same. i've only replaced rear on the k5. i don't know about the joints on the axles, but i've heard they interchange, also.

i know not everyone will agree with this method, but instead of dropping a ton of money on expensive joints, i grab the cheaper ones and get an extra for a trail spare, and come out way ahead, money-wise. but, mine is not a dd, and i don't wheel it as often as i'd like, so a cheaper joint will hold up longer than it would on a dd or truck that was wheeled every weekend (man, i'd love that). worked out well for me, so far.

3. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

:bow: Thank you Vortec for the response.:bow:

Might go cheap just because I am short on cash

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Your burb could have 1310, 1330, 1350, or S44 u-joints on the rear driveshaft. It will have either 1310 or S44 joints on the front shaft.

The axle shafts have a whole different u-joint. I can't think of the number off the top of my head.

Spicer u-joints aren't that expensive, in my experience, they are just as cheap as anything else. I paid about 1/2 what you posted, look around. You will probably be able to find them cheaper.

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Joints are different. You probably have 2 different ones in your front dshaft. A tire shop probably only looked at you read driveshaft. If the joints are original, you will need a heat source to remove them.

6. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

That's gunna be fun then, Babyburb with a heat source! :D :weld:

Did I mention I almost caught Lake Texoma on fire this last weekend. What a trip that was.:doah: I guess I should post the story up in the lounge so everyone can make fun of me.