Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

? for people who have a doubler in there rig

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BLZN4FN, Oct 30, 2004.

1. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

So Im starting the phase 2 of the K5 and thinking of doing a doubler. Here are the questions
    How often do you use or need the doubler?
    what combo are you doing like th350 or th400 and why
    also that kind of wheeling do you do? rocks,mud ect...
    Anyone have any pics on how you did the crossmembers?
    I would also like any feed back on how it works or not what you thought it was going do for you.

Thanks,
    BO

2. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Bo,

I have had a Doubler in my truck for over 5 years. It has gone from a fullsize truck with 35's to my current S-Blazer with 42's. I have always done mostly rockcrawling, but rockcrawling back east usually involves mud at some point.

I couldn't imagine what it was like to wheel with out it. I use it all of the time when wheeling for the extra gearing. Admittedly, I have found that at times, you really only need 1 low range, but that doesn't happen often.

Transmission choice really depends on what you have now, or what else you might do with the truck. I originally used a TH400 because I did a lot of towing with my Blazer. With a Doubler, the transmission doesn't get strained as much due to the lower gearing. Put a good cooler on either a good 400 or 350, and it will live for a long time in front of a Doubler.

Check out ORD's site for crossmember ideas, or 4x4 Iron. I have had just a single factory crossmember, which has worked, but not the best idea. Let me know if you have any more questions. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have a 4 speed/205, no doubler, but I'm at approximately the same crawl ratio as a auto/doubler.

If not for the cost I'd likely trade my hydro clutch 4 speed for a TH 400/doubler without thinking about it.

Either way a good crawl ratio gives you awesome control--but I feel that with enough gearing, an automatic will give you more control over a 4 speed.

There comes a point where it's too much--but I don't find that to ever be a problem at my current gearing and I believe it to be unlikely there would be any disadvantages to being 4:1 all the time (in fact if I could run a 5:1 Atlas I think that'd be great, too).

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I don't think there is such a thing as too low of a crawl ratio. The issue is when the ratio becomes so low and you don't have another option. Such as I think a combo of a SM465 and a 5.0 Atlas would be too low without more gearing options. Doubler has the option of a 2:1 or a 3.92:1(stop kidding its not 4:1)

And tim whether you like to believe it or not torque convert slippage occurs so TH400-Doubler setups are lower crawl ratio than you.

5. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Bo,

I own a doubler and have had it in my rig for about 2 years. Don't know how I wheeled without it. We do quite a bit of crawlin, and you just can't wheel witout it here in AZ. It gives the drive the control that you need to deal with just about any situiation. Very nice to have all the gears you need when you need them. I won the Doubler at BB01, but stil had to do the other modification. It's not a cheap modification, with all that goes into it, but it was wort it as far as I am concerned.

I'm still going to add the WMS 203 upgrade, I want more lower gears, I hope this year sometime. No such thing as too low of gears if you are crawling in the bigrocks.

Good luck w/ your choice.

Rob

6. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I am not much of a manual transmission fan, but the SM465 and 5:1 Atlas has plenty of gear options. You would have 4 gearing options in low range, from the 6.54:1 first to the 1:1 fourth gear. Kinda hard to shift on the fly, though.

Edit: I think being stuck with an auto and 5:1 low range would suck unless you have a manual valve body.

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

sorry, whats this?
    [ QUOTE ]
    WMS 203 upgrade

[/ QUOTE ]

8. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    sorry, whats this?
    [ QUOTE ]
    WMS 203 upgrade

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.wagonermachine.com/gear_set.htm

it's a 3.1:1 gearset for the 203 range box.
    so you get 1.96, 3.1, and ~6.1 ratios (with a 205 in a doubler)
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

does having a doubler have any negative effects in mud, other than maybe adding a little extra weight? or how bout on the street? and I read on ORD's site, that the doubler setup ends up being the same length as a 203...so is a second crossmember really necessary? is a second one needed, just because there's more weight, distributed farther back, or...?

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    sorry, whats this?
    [ QUOTE ]
    WMS 203 upgrade

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    5.88:1 not 6. If the 205 has a 1.96:1 ratio(as it does) then 3 times 1.96:1 is 5.88:1. Sorry I know its stupid but a regular doubler isn't 4:1 its 3.92:1. Yeah so it only makes a slight difference when calculating crawl ratio its the truth.

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

isn't the 203 a 2.01:1?

12. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

2.01*1.96=3.9396
    3.1*1.96=6.076

If you're going to be anal, at least be right.

13. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Well hell I think im just going to do it. Thanks for all your input guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    what kinda of doubler does everyone have? WMS or ORD?
    which is better?

14. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

ORD all the way! The best customer service, a supporting vendor of CK5, and built here in Colorado. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    sorry, whats this?
    [ QUOTE ]
    WMS 203 upgrade

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    5.88:1 not 6. If the 205 has a 1.96:1 ratio(as it does) then 3 times 1.96:1 is 5.88:1. Sorry I know its stupid but a regular doubler isn't 4:1 its 3.92:1. Yeah so it only makes a slight difference when calculating crawl ratio its the truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

So it gives me a lot higher crawl ratio... is that basically the same thing as the np205 3:1 kit that is being made right now, I remember an old post about it. or since ones in the front, and ones in the back of the doubler adaprter, is it different /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Its the samething as the 205 3:1 kit, but its for a 203. Being in a doubler just means it "raises" the crawl ratio even more.

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay I get it now. Thanks sleddy /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

19. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Most people get away just fine with the stock gears in a 203/205 combo. Not a necessity.

20. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I am getting one for mine and it is a DD (an AZ version of one)but I have no worrys.

As for Rob and his 3:1 kit, he just likes to use his electric idle control for crawling. His rig is big budget. He doesn't even do his own tube work /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually Rob is one of the best sources I know of for this kind of thing. He is honest and knowledgable to boot. His rig is really a low budget rig other than TPI, the new chro-mo axles and an abundance of tools. He doesn't do his tube work cause he has friends that will trade it off for free. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif