Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

For ryoken electriacal badness! Duct bank

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by darkshadow, Nov 26, 2005.

1. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

ok a duct bank for thouse that dont knoe is a series of conduits layed in concreat,and setin the ground from the transformer to the building, this one was at a hotel my brothers company just finished.

there was aparently a loud BANG one day, followed by all the interlocking stone JUMPING in the air, this was followed by two more BANGS later on.

what happened is now a legal battle betwen my brothers boss' company and the cable suplyer.

but one electriacl engener said to my brother, and he aggres, that water settled in a low spot in the conduit, and there must have been a nick in the insulation of one wire.

no biggy, but eventualy the water got in the cable and as it did the electisity heated the water up, untill it boiled, at the prolonged high temps the insulation on the other wires failed, and then it arced out creation and explosion that comprmized the other conduits in the duct and the blew too.

so many long days later it done they had to chisel thru the concreat to get to and repair the duct, and clean the box in side too, my brother says he can still smell the burn pvc...

aftermath pics

Picture (Large).jpg

Picture1 (Medium).jpg

Picture4 (Medium).jpg

Picture5 (Medium).jpg

Picture6 (Medium).jpg

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

3. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Always Megger yer HV cables :shame:

Speaking of ductbanks, when I was an apprentice, a friend in my class worked for a big outfit that was replacing and putting new installations of 12kv in MILES of ductbank around the San Francisco Airport. Anyway, they pulled out MILES and MILES of old wore, all 750-1000kcmil. They were filling shipping containers FULL of scrap. The plan was, at the end of the job, the scrap would be turned in and the whole crew (about 50 workers) would share the profit. He noticed one day that some of the containers would keep getting loaded, but never get full. The General Foreman and his two kids were snagging loads of it over the weekends. So he dipped his fingers too. He came away with about 5000 pounds of copper, which he stripped. Then he sat on it for about 7 years, until he was able to get $1.25 a pound for it. I helped him haul it in. We were first at the scrap yard when they opened, and he cleaned out all of their cash on hand, they had to cut him a check for the balance, then they had to go to the bank for more cash so they could operate the rest of the day. Wish I had been on that job...

IBEW 617

Last edited: Nov 26, 2005
  4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i've heard of so many situations of buildings, houses, etc getting stripped of their copper by thieves...

in the marina, its bronze we go for... set of bronze shafts or props bring some good coin...

5. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

smells like money :D

IBEW local 558

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

his boss was jokeing after he bought coffie, "Drink up it is probably the last thing i can ever buy you!"

he was tired and sore after getting the generator (big traler mounted cat) hooked up , pulling the old wires out and re pulling the new. a long 5 days.

oh i for got a pic, this is the wire on a curb, that will give you an idea of the gauge!!!

Picture3 (Medium).jpg