Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

For sale / wanted boards for member only

Discussion in 'Feedback | Site Announcements' started by Eric M., Jun 30, 2002.

1. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I'd like to suggest that you make the other boards members only and not the for sale / wanted. We post on these boards with the idea that anyone can see what we have for sale, high visability. No one is going to pay $25 a year to view whats for sale or to try and sell something especially when it is limited to members only - how many CK5 members are there nationwide, 1000?. Very low visability. Not with so many other free for sale sites around. This only hurts the paying members who are trying to sell items and will need to post elsewhere in order to get realistic viewings. Now, consider all the useful advice and tech found on the other message boards. You can't find that just anywhere. That is what CK5 has that is unique and what folks will pay for.

Just a thought,

Eric M.

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Well not only will it hurt "paying" CK5 members, but it will also hurt "non paying" members. I've been on this board since '00 and blocking certain forums for "paying" members only will only cause trouble for both parties concerned.

This is not a good way to bring in more revenue in my opinion. Feels more like a slap in the face. The internet is supposed to be a free avenue for information and picking and choosing what parts of your site the public can access is truly your choice, but I won't be paying for it.

I've bought and sold many items off the for sale boards and both "paying" and "non paying" members have benefited as well as myself finding some good deals. It looks like all good things come to an end tho.

It looks like it is getting time to finding another board. It's too bad cause this site was great (when it didn't cost anything for it's features).

This is my opinion and as such means something to only me. Take it for what it's worth.

3. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Let's back off a bit here. I didn't mean to tell CK5 there services should be free. This board has got to take a lot of time and money to keep going. I'm more than happy to help out. I'm a member and will continue to be one as long as I use this board. I just think limiting the for sale boards will render them useless. Even as a member I wouldn't consider listing an item on a board that can only be viewed by a handfull of members, as a serious means of selling anything.

I see the local clubs board will be for member only, maybe make a few of the discussion boards for members only as well. That should generate a few new members. Where else will you go for the kind of info. found on these boards. It'll force some of the readers using this service to help support it. $25 a year isn't much for what you get. I'd pay (and do) for that, I wouldn't pay $25 a year to visit a for sale site with just a handful of members / viewers. Now maybe if they could set it up so only members could list items and anyone could view them. That might work. What do you think?

Eric M.

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Now maybe if they could set it up so only members could list items and anyone could view them. That might work. What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ] Sounds good, let's try that.

5. CK5

Well not only will it hurt "paying" CK5 members, but it will also hurt "non paying" members. I've been on this board since '00 and blocking certain forums for "paying" members only will only cause trouble for both parties concerned.

This is not a good way to bring in more revenue in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Your right, working 60+ hours a week and giving everything away for free is much better, after all look how well it worked on you, you have been here for two years and still not a member, thanks for the support.
    The internet is supposed to be a free avenue for information

[/ QUOTE ] WRONG, I have to pay for hardware, hosting, software, bandwidth, Internet access, licenses etc., that doesn't sound free to me.
    picking and choosing what parts of your site the public can access is truly your choice, but I won't be paying for it.

[/ QUOTE ] Of course you won't, you have been here two years and are still not a suporting member.
    I've bought and sold many items off the for sale boards and both "paying" and "non paying" members have benefited as well as myself finding some good deals.

[/ QUOTE ] Glad I could save you some money. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif
    It looks like it is getting time to finding another board. It's too bad cause this site was great (when it didn't cost anything for it's features).

[/ QUOTE ] Everything is great when YOU don't have to do or pay for anything and you get it all for free. Ever hear of the phrase "Don't bite the hand that feeds you"? or "You get what you pay for"? Prolly not.
    This is my opinion and as such means something to only me. Take it for what it's worth.

[/ QUOTE ] I'm not even going to bother with this one. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Souds like he should be pullin' back a bloody stump after that one... Thanks Steve. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Nice job Steve! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Rene

8. Waxer

Steve,

Well I am sorry that my opinion stated a few days back hit you the wrong way. I didn't mean to come off like a "cheap-skate bastage" like I did. Yes I have been here for 2 years, no I havent sent in $50 for membership. Hell, membership has been available for a year or slightly over a year hasn't it?

I've contributed to this site plenty of times helping others out with advice and experiences shared regarding their problems or posts. I have not ONLY posted in the For Sale forums like others have. I do believe that sharing info, advice, experiences, pictures, a write-up on 8 lug conversion is in fact contributing and worth something.

Anyone can just send in $25 and gain "Contributor" status, but will that help get Billy Bobs K5 back and running the same day with a fix my advice or input has given?

Hell if sending in 25 bucks puts me on the "higher class" status of CK5 regarding contributions then hell, I'll send it right in. You don't know me nor my situation at home so where 25 bucks seems like a drop in the bucket to some, its really a big deal to me with 3 kids and a wife to support. No I'm not whining or looking for support I am just saying that I have little to no spare monies and whenever I do something always seems to come up. (vehicle breaks down, kids need clothes, baby needs diapers, etc..)

I honestly didnt mean to mock you are make you look bad in anyway, I just wanted to express my feelings on how it felt to someone who HAS contributed in other ways, but not recognized for it would be "left out" simply cause it isn't plausable for he/she to have the extra $$ to send in.

Again, take this for what its worth and if attempting to express myself this way from a better approach isn't enough, then I'm left without words.

Rene: umm, whatever (regarding promudder and your comment)

9. Waxer

Hell, reply to myself /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I'm in such financial hardship I can't afford to have my son (5 years) in any type of summer program. It's almost as if the working man is stiffed while all the people on Welfare get free daycare, food, 90% reduction in rent, etc...

I have him with me at work every day because of this. No not an excuse, just an example of how money is tighter than a frogs ass in a thunderstorm.

10. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Waxer -

I consider you one of the CK5 family[regardless of your color /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif], but nowhere in your original post did you mention the hard times you've been going through. If you had, I have a feeling that Steve's reply may have been a little less aggressive.

I'm sure you could have worded your post a little differently yet still got the same message across....

11. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I don't like how everyones excuse has been "times are tight or tough" your right, but if my kid had to lose something because I CAN afford computer sevice or a computer in the first place then those toys of mine are gone ... Including the Blazer... How do you think Steve gets by every month.
    I havent been a paying member for as long as I'd like but I did buy small stuff from Steve because it was what I could afford and no my kid didn't suffer from any of the missed revenue...If he had I wouldn't be here. I'm not ranting and I'm not mad at you I'm just stating the facts.... /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Rene: umm, whatever (regarding promudder and your comment)

[/ QUOTE ]
    That comment may have been a little harsh...I guess your comments ticked me off too. I do recall you helping guys out and sharing info, so I was dismayed to see your original post. It is tough for the regular working stiff with a family and kids these days, my situation is quite similar.

I guess the point is that Steve Fox's own position is the same and as unpaying users we are using something he is paying for without returning anything of tangible value to him. CK5 has become a product that has tangible costs each and every month. As long time members I feel $25 is the least we can do to get this place up to a level of sustainabilty for Steve.

Promudder is a much different case...my comments to him stand.

Rene

13. Waxer

You are right and I agree. I apologize about being so ignorant in the way I sent my original messages across.

14. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

15. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Please stand so I can see the size of those cajone's... thank you, for being able to say that... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

16. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

OH , this part, too cool..... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I apologize

[/ QUOTE ]

17. CK5

Waxer - no problem, and I think everyone including myself appreciates the articles, comments, feedback etc. I to am in a situation with being layed off and a kid at home medical bills, etc. never meant the membership program to excude people but to include them, it's still real hard to find that common ground though, not cut and dry like tangable goods, if one of us can't afford a set of tires we simple don't buy them, but with web sites it's a little different, the webmaster still gets charged with hosting fees, bandwidth fees, software etc., so it is often hard to sell these items as products even though a website can be a product as we have here at CK5.
    The for sale board is still going to be viewable by everyone so non members can still PM or email the seller. If you want to sell something just get a membership and post away, still cheaper than a newspaper ad or even ebay, I'm hoping that people will realize that this is still a great value for posting GM parts targeted to GM buyers, in the advertising world that is the most expensive due to it being the most effective, and the site is still 95% free to everyone so I don't think that it will limit to many people.

18. Waxer

That sounds good Steve. Hell if I were any higher up at my job I would just off you free hosting, but my current position doesn't give me authorization for that yet. I do have my own box up hosting this or that with no limits on bandwidth, etc.. (bet you really didn't want to hear that) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

If I ever get into a position where I can, I will help out with what I can. Even if its just a mirror for the forums so bandwidth on your end will go down and hence cost you less.

19. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Sheesh, some of these guys make it sound like Steve is closing the site completely to all who arent members. I
    dont see it that way at all. Some things are going to become members only. Most arent. If you cant afford a membership, dont buy one.
    You can still come to the site, still give your input to the forums, and still take advice and ideas from everyone else. Dont get all in a huff and
    threaten to take your web business elsewhere. Just get on with your life. If you are going to go elsewhere, go. I have a feeling you will be back.
    They always come back. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    And not to single anyone out (Ive seen many posts like this) but believe it or not, this statement: "Im not whining but I am broke, my wife and daughter have to work the street, my son is in a gang, and I just got laid off" IS whining.
    The internet isnt free. I dont know where this concept that it is came from. The site has gotten too big to be free any more.
    There is cash going out to support it. There has to be income from it. The only way to get income is to sell memberships. The only way to sell memberships is to
    make membership appealing. Im sure Steve is sorry, and the rest of the members are sorry too, but thats the way of the future.
    Ya, I feel bad that some people have a hard time making ends meet. But I can. So I will join. And the more cool stuff that members only get, the better.
    Thanks Steve. Keep up the good work.

Mike

20. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a decision you and only you can make. You will, of course, be in the vast minority with that opinion, and that is fine. Steve has been giving away a product for long enough, and now he is asking for a very small yearly contribution. Sounds like he is a reasonable person.

As they say, 'don't let the door hit ya on the way out'........... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif