Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

For Stephen Watson

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by muscle, Dec 27, 2002.

1. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

For Steven Watson:

Steve after discussing my project with you today on an '84 Jimmy I decided to browse your website and put together a system that fits me. I then compared it to the "Burly Burb" and noticed how closely they were in comparison. Here it is:

Suspension/Running Gear Upgrades:

#GU33810 GM 4" Rear Shackle flip. $185.00
    #U8003 Offset 1" Zero Rate Add a Leaves. $40.00
    #GU38003 Greasable bushing kit for 1 3/8" shackle $66.00
    #U8020 Reversed rear u-bolt kit $60.00
    #GU37011 Greasable front shackles $89.00
    #GU37001 Swaybar Correction/Disconnect $87.00
    #BG05003 Swaybar Bushing Kits ‘81-‘87 $17.00
    Transfer case mounts $45.00
    Air Locker assy. for front Diff. Dana 44 30 spline 4.11 Price?

Tuff Country Suspension:

GM HD 4" Front Kit $225.00
    Chevy Steering Arm $60.00
    4 SX8000 Nitrogen shocks $128.00

I have decided to leave the rear end alone for now in regards to a detroit locker but I am planning on a 4.11 gear ratio for this truck. As I stated before, this will be used primarily for a hunting rig. I hope to be able to have this order completed by August '03

Questions:

Do I need Part#: BG02009-1/2 Front Upper Shackle Bushing Kit?
    Is there something I may have forgot?
    What is the shipping going to be like? Zip code 85901.
    What brand air locker do you reccomend?

Thanks for your help! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Russ Downing

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

OK, there's a couple things to amend here:

You won't need a ubolt reversal, the '84 K5 will have round bottom ubolts so the most you will need is a set of new bolts, they're $38.00.

The 4" HD front kit is $235 now, the web prices are a bit old. Also shocks are $34 each for a total of 136.00 and the arm is $65.00.

You won't need the upper shackle bushing kit, those parts are included in the HD front shackles. But you might want the GU37012 greasable main eye kit for the front springs ($22.00)

You will probably want a set of braided brake lines, they're $100.00 even for the kit which included both front lines and the single rear line.

I don't have a price for the air locker at this point, it would be about $650, give or take. Air lockers are built by the ARB company and for the D44 they're a strong reliable locker. Which is why I recommended the D44 swap in your case.

Sounds like a good recipe overall for what you want to do. It should be a truck you can use for local back country trips or jump in and drive across the country if you like.

3. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

Thanks Stephen. I almost forgot I will need the steering brace kit and, oh yes, the brake lines.

I also looked up a link I found browsing this forum and I see what you mean regarding gear ratios. A 3.73 ratio with 32" wheels at 60mph shows the engine RPM at 2413 in drive and 1645 in overdrive. (If I'm reading this correctly) So at 1645 RPM the motor is pretty much lugging along and will want to upshift at any slight hint of a hill. A 4.10 ratio shows overdrive at 1808 RPM. This will only worsen with larger tires.

So I think I will do what is right an go for a 4.56 gear set for the D44 front and 12" Corporate rear. My question is what will passing gear be like with the 700-R4?

I appreciate you help not only online but on the phone today. I know alot of shops wont drop what their doing to chat with a perspective customer on his upcoming project, but you obviously will. You can count on my business! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Russ Downing

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Thanks!
    3rd gear with 4.56's and any 33-35" tire is going to be GREAT. Depending on tire size and road speed, you'll be running around 3K RPMs, definitely in the RPM range where the motor is happy.