Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

For the guys that went from headers to ram horn manifolds, a question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BurbinOR, Mar 16, 2002.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

This pertains only to those that did that exact change - did you feel any loss of power below 5000 rpm level?

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

are you loosing your headers?

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Might be............I'll let ya know.

Just planning future mods...........ram horns are fine for a Vette, they gotta be fine for a K5, flow-wise.

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

well if you do get rid of them if you dont want to much for them consider them sold they should fit mine /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I thought it gained power everywhere
    course the headers were beat bad

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

My friends uncle ran ram horns on his 64 biscayne, it gave it that sleeper look and he perpelled that car to mid to high 12's in the quarter so if they were hurting performance he would of swaped them out, but if you get the ones off a vette and play with a die grinder they should do very well.(or not cus even in stock form they were nice)

What kinda future mods???
    BTW I'm leaving right now to go pick up my trottle body, intake and heads for the Willy's/forums/images/icons/cool.gif El Cheapo!..read as under $80/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Good points.............also figured factory Vette's can run damn quick 1/4's. Probably gonna go that route to eliminate the collector leaks I fight constantly.............doesn't help matters that the collector flange off the header is wavy as can be..............

Future mods? Got an hour? /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Xover.............'have to' do it since my stock steering box is leaking now............actually starting to leave a small puddle after a couple of days. Might as well do it soon since I have it in mind and now the leakage is gonna force /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif me to!

Dual batteries

Hardwire the 700 watt inverter I already have

Front 9012 & F-250 towers

Rocksliders - Toybox

CB

GPS mount and interface to NEC mini laptop (like Daniel has, you'll see it Sunday)

Baffled gas tank (picking up one from Bill (Sparky87K5) in a couple of weeks so this is 'in motion'), then install the skid plate you supplied /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

On board air

Shall I continue? There's more............/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Is Aaron interested in our little club?

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

i think he meant engine related

9. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

You might try a company called Lefthander.... they are a circle track company. There web site is down right now but there phone # is 815-389-9999. They used to carry the vette 2 1/2 rams horns in stock form or ported to 3 inch at a reasonable price. There web site is www.lefthanderchassis.com if it comes back up.

10. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Ever thought of the collector clamps???
    $35 at the portland swap meet, it's a 3 piece construction clamp that clamps over the collector. stainless bolts too. My friends dad just swapped his and has not had a leak since.

You think your list is long...LOL see the "future project in the garage post",LOL.
    but one thing off my list is get TBI/forums/images/icons/cool.gif I got that today!!

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Thanks for that heads up. Wonder what they charge for the 2.5"?

Going to have to check it out, I know I can get new factory ones for about $80.

12. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I considered that ...............but how do you get the new flanges OVER the header collector end..........I must be missing something.

Congrats on the TBI...........is this for a rat or a SBC?

Oh, my list forgot the doubler and/or NP205 twin stick.

Gotta start playing Powerball................/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

See ya tomorrow!

13. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

it's a three piece clamp so it interlocks then has three bolts that hold it together.
    It's for a SBC, the biggie was gone before I had a chance/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif
    if anyone ask you tomorrow what your best mod is on your truck what are you gonna say?? LOL hint: shock mount/forums/images/icons/wink.gif LOL

14. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Got a website with pictures.............I'm better at visual stuff /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Gotta then cut off the existing flanges or what?

15. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'll try to find it, it clamps over the existing joint.
    nope the current joint is uneffected, just a three piece clamps coveres it and then bolts together, IE a double flang type i guess.

***sorry Frank, I looked but I can't find a site. I know the guy has a booth at the swapmeet every year though. I can draw you a pic tomorrow at the meeting,LOL

16. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

They were showing a set of these clamps on Trucks yesterday. I'd never heard of them before but they looked pretty slick. They said they run around $50 for the set. You might be able to get a source on the Trucks web site.

Smitty

17. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Every try an factory exhaust donut from a Big-Block?
    I've never tried it personaly, but I've heard they work, something to check out.

Your running that TPI 400, right? I would think that engines probably in need of some air-flow, in and out. (just a guess)