Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

for the love of gawd, why me.

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by jekbrown, Mar 4, 2003.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

see my post on the garage forum.... something in my ff14b went "pop". opened the cover... gear tooth laying in the bottom of the diff. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif unless there is a miracle... there goes TSF this month... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif !!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

j

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

well that sucks /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

man that sucks. who set up your ring and pinion? the guy (darrel) that did my truck and josh's ring and pinion did a awsome job sounds like its time to give him a call, unless you have a warranty from the other shop that did the install.

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    for the love of gawd, why me

[/ QUOTE ]
    'cause yer SO special!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif j/k couldn't resist man.

Was it one of the spiders we welded up?? Or was it the ring gear?

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Maybe it was a welded spider gear tooth. If it were a ring/pinion tooth the truck would be making lots of noise.

6. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Better to have happened in the driveway if it is gonna happen.
    TSF is no place to have yer rig take a dump on ya.
    Unless ya brought it in on a Trailer.
    I remember when Shannons rear axle let go at Sand Lake, 12 bolt so no pulling out the shafts and motoring on. He did drive it home though. That was it for me, the next weekend I was rolling on 3/4 ton axles.
    I finaly got around to cracking open the cover when Rob was gonna get it.
    It was pretty ugly in there. But that was a 12 bolt axle as well.
    As for yours.. It sounds like the bearing preload was to tight.
    Who set up the gears?
    If it wasn't making any unusual noise when you drove it then chances are the bearings were to tight.
    Gears that are set up to tight are gonna whine like a 2 year old.
    Either the carrier bearings or the pinion bearings are gonna be cooked.
    If it got hot enough to smoke paint then it will be real obvious as to what went out.
    If it was the pinion bearings the gears are gonna be no good.
    If it was hot enough to smoke paint on the outside whatever went out would have been glowing. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    It does not take much over the specified setting to smoke bearings, they can and do get hot in a hurry.
    I have seen more than enough of them.
    Diff and wheel bearings.

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Weren't you saying the rearend got really hot when you first drove it after the gear setup? Sounds like they did something wrong..........get with your installer and ask about your 'warranty'. Good luck......... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I think he did them himself....if I remember correctly...

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

sorta good news... the 14b is fixed... quick turn around over at woodys. Now... if i can get my tcase swapped in, i can still make it to TSF... hope against hope! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif we'll see... all i can do right now is hope. *crosses fingers*

j