Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

For the other gauge nuts out there

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1985_K5_Silverado, Mar 9, 2006.

1. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

I'm kind of a gauge nut, and think that it's hard to have too many gauges. I'm currently lining up a bunch of gauges to add to my K5. Some are needed, and some are just info overload, to be honest. In any case, you've got to spend it somewhere.

One of the hardest ones to track down all the components for, namely the sending unit, was the trans oil pressure gauge. I figured a low pressure reading would let me know if the clutches were in jeopardy from a failing pump. The gauge was easy enough to find, a VDO 350-110 Vision Series 2-1/16" job, 0-400psi (300 would do it, but the 0-400 will cover the range), black face, white lettering, very basic. Summit has it for $26 + shipping.

The difficult thing was tracking down the sending unit! It seems that a 10-180 ohm, 0-400 psi sender isn't stocked at many retail auto parts stores ("You want a trans pressure gauge in your truck??? That's different.:rolleyes: "). Boat dealers, however, are different. If the pump starts to crap out in your vehicle and your clutches begin to slip and grind themselves up slowly, you can park and walk, but if the same thing happens in your boat 20 miles offshore, it'd be hard to get out and walk to shore (for me anyway, walking on water was never a talent of mine), so it'd be on the radio and wait for the CG. Far better to see the pressure dropping and immediately make course to shore and hope you get there before the clutches grind up all the way, or stop and see if you can do a field fix.

Anyhow, the sending unit is the VDO 360-406, which Summit doesn't even list as a catalog item at this time (the gauge itself won't even be stocked till 3-24-2006), but any local large boat dealer is likely to have one in stock or be able to get one ASAP. It has a floating ground, being first and foremost a marine application piece of gear, but it does have a ground terminal for ground wire hookup. For a while there, I thought I was going to have to go to an industrial supplier.

2. Big89Burban

Big89Burban 1/2 ton status

IMO. The most you would ever need on a tranny is a temp guage (heat is the biggest killer of your tranny). Plain and simple it wont function correctly if the press. drops and you will notice it slipping imediately. Its overkill man :crazy:

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

yup, very common in boats... any setup with diesels, especially Detroits, will generally have em on the twin disk trannies...

i'm a gauge, info overload type too, but i doubt i'd run that one... :wink1:

i run oil pressure, oil temp, volts, fuel, tranny temp, water temp, fuel pressure for now. eventually i'd like to add a vacuum and air/fuel to it...

4. 1985_K5_Silverado

It's pretty cheap, about $30 for the gauge and $35 for the sender (single station type). Be the first light truck on your block!

Don't forget diff temp gauges for the front and rear, plus a transfer case oil temp gauge (don't have any those yet, but it couldn't hurt to think about adding them).

5. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Wow, I have to see a picture of your dash. it must be cluttered beyond belief.

I love gauges too, but my funds are right now tied up in trying to replace all 4 leaf springs because they all broke at the same time. :D (don't ask)
    I usually like to have speed, tach, water temp, oil pressure, volts, gas, amps, and vacuum.

6. 1985_K5_Silverado

Naw, I'm still finding and buying gauges and senders here and there, then the install will happen as soon as I figure out where in the hell to neatly put a dozen little gauges (not including the tach and speedo):confused: . I'd kind of like to make an easy-open-for-servicing gauge panel to hold most of them. Street vehicles should be built more like racers, with the fuse panel having easy non-contortionist access and that sort of thing.

My '85 has no pillar pods ready-made available (regardless of the mistake that Classic Industries has in their catalog), which is too bad, since I'd like to stick 3 of the gauges up there on the pillar.

All 4 springs busted - you're not the "blazer jump" video guy, are you?

7. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

No I'm not that guy, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. LOL

I think my suspention broke as a result of too many years being pounded by a constant salt spray from winter driving.
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166553