Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

For the people that run/ran 12 bolt with detroit - what part breaks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bajaviking, Aug 27, 2004.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

For the people that have been running 12 bolts with a detroit Locker what did you break? The detroit, the axle shafts, ring/pinion, your neck? Other?
    Please save the 14 bolt FF comments for somebody else, I can get a detroit installed for cheap and I am not interested in the 14 bolt at this point.

2. blueblaze

blueblaze 1/2 ton status

The only thing was 2 axle shafts..."knock on wood"... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I actually have a complete extra 12 bolt differential so spares is not a problem. I am thinking that the Detroit is pretty strong so carrier breakage should not be a problem and I can deal with changing a shaft now and then /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have a couple friends with detroits and 35" tires. They wheel hard and what I have heard and seen are axleshafts and ring & pinions.

I witnessed TheRobZilla pop a 12 bolt shaft in his K5. Pretty awesome sound when you hear it and all you see is sky as you are climbing a waterfall. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

A buddy of mine Robert has had a couple ring and pinions go in a K10 longbed that he rockcrawled pretty hard.

Robs axleshafts had been in the axle for a long time taking a pretty heavy beating before they let go. He is light on the go pedal and has a controlled wheeling style too though. Get crazy with the skinny pedal and the breakage will be a toss up.

Harley

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

When my 12 bolt failed it was open, but the pinion bearing exploded, destroying the ring and pinion, the housing, and the carrier.

Just something to keep in mind.

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

ive seen the pinion bearings fall apart, lucky we cought it soon enough that the ring and pinion were still good.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I had a 14 bolt SF in the garage already so I didn't bother fixing it, I just waited for it to pop and came home and put it in.

That was about 3 years ago.