Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

For the smallblock experts!!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5RON, Jun 25, 2001.

1. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

Well, I removed the oilpan off a donor motor which I planned on rebuilding and installing in my K5. As it turns out it’s a 2-bolt.

Now my questions:

It’s a ’79 block and I was wonderin’ if it’s worth the bother rebuilding it or should I buy a GM Goodwrench 4-bolt longblock?

Is a 4-bolt that much stronger or is it lot of hype? (I’m not racing this thing)

Is ’79 a decent year as far as smallblocks are concerned?

What’s your opinion on “seasoned” blocks as compared to “non-seasoned” blocks?

Anyone have any bad experiences with GM Goodwrench motors?

Not trying to start a flame war but just looking for the facts!

Thanks in advance!

Ron

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

1. A 2 bolt main is fine for your appliacation
    2. If you know how to build your motor it will be half the price and significatly more powerful than a crate motor and you'll be a lot more satisfied at the end.

Make sure you didn't get screwed over like me. I bought a 350 and it turned out to be a 305. I built it up and now it's got more power than any stock 350 ever has had, but I still wish I had a 350.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

3. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

I agree. Unless you turning high rpm's and trying to create a torque monster, a 2 bolt will do just fine (up to about 400 hp). Anything over that, a 4 bolt is just added insurance.

4. 400K10

400K10 Registered Member

you can sell that 2 bolt to me. it taking up too much room in your garage anyway. i will even take the tranny and t/f case off your hands. you'll have to deliver it though, i am working out of town and dont have time to pick it up, auctions, ebay, flea markets... you know how it is. lol!!!! let me know, thanks!!!! p.s. it will give you more time to feed the squirrells!!!!

5. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I would use the 2 bolt block. It is fine for you application and if you ever felt the need to spend more money to strengthen it you can get the caps drilled for 4 bolt caps.

The only issues I have heard from my race motor builder friend is that the 502's have had a problem dropping valves.... that is about it though. I have never had a problem w/ them.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Who said anything about a 502?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

7. mlb79

mlb79 Registered Member

I've always heard that two bolt blocks are a better starting point because you can drill them out for four bolt. When you drill out the two bolt block and caps the bolts are angled and they turn out to be stronger than the factory 4-bolts. I'm not sure about the specifics but I have heard this from a lot of racers with "mucho grande" horsepower. The two bolt would probably be plenty for what you using it for.

Mark

79 K5, 3" lift, 400 cubes of nasty

8. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

84 Chevy K10:

K5Ron asked if anyone knew of any problems w/ GM crate motors.... 502 is a GM Crate motor, but is the only bad thing I have heard of w/ GM crates.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>