Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

? for thoose who have tore down a np205

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cegusman, Jan 29, 2003.

1. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Is there anything I should know befor I tear apart my np205? I have rebuilt a np208 before and have tor down a sm465 but no 205. Any tricks/tips? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

You have a PM.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

thanks

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

that's not very nice... what about the rest of us that will be tearing into our 205s (next week)? /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I didn't want any of the bluebies to get it, its in the bloody knuckle about the 7th page by leadfoot... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you have specific questions you can PM me (I'm usually not online during the weekend). Since you have rebuilt the 208/465 you should have a good idea on how to rebuild the 205. The biggest thing is have an open work area, look at the orientation of the parts as you take them out (especially the shift forks, hi/low gears, and idler assy) and order and orientation of shims and thrust washers. The forks are interchangeable, but they are designed to fit one way (the front side is different than the back). A heavy duty set of snap ring plyers is a major time and band-aid saver. You will also need a dial indicator and ft/lbs torque wrench for the idler endplay adjustment.

Take your time and you will be fine. I will PM you my cell number. If you have any questions give me a ring.

Chris

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Good point on the HD snap ring pliers ! I loaned a few of my "good" pliers out and had to go through a 205 with a lesser set of pliers and it was a finger beating experience at best ......
    One more note since you are re-doing the 205 , when you order the bearing kit - make sure that the radial ball bearings are the "maximum capacity" type and not the standard bearings. Some of the rebuild kits use the least exspensive bearings;also make sure that the seals are a double lip design .
    Good luck , Tom

8. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Who would sell one of these better rebuild kits?

9. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

Try www.4xheaven.com for parts and info...great people. Also, my old Factory Overhaul Manual seemed to indicate the roll pins in the shift fork/rails had to be taken out from the top...not so, just drive them straight thru with a punch and fish them out of the case later.

10. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

The biggest PITA is putting the idler shaft back though the idler gears. I dont mean PITA, I mean FAWKING PITA-go and punch some one in the face PITA (yes thats how I really feel)

Do this, when reinstalling the idler shaft use one of those black and decker workmate benches. You know the ones that open and close. Open it up 5-6" and put the case down on the back side so the larger shaft hole is visable through the open space. This way when you put the idler gear in the end with the shims in it are facing up and the bearing shouldnt flop around and casue the shims to get all out of alignment.

Insert the shaft and start to tap it into place.

Once it gets close to the shims use a pick and get the shims as close to being aligned as possable (they will get a little out of place when you wrestle getting the gears back in)

Then SLOWLY start tapping the shaft. Once its tight with the shims use your pick and make sure ALL OF THE SHIMS ARE OUT OF THE WAY OF THE SHAFT!!! then slowly tap it the rest of the way through.

I wrecked 15 shims until I used the workmate bench. Those replacement shims are not cheap and no GM dealership has them in stock (nor do any parts stores)

11. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I have seen different bearings from the same part # kit from several vendors . BCA offers a descent kit as do some of the ring & pinion parts houses. Just look for a maximum capacity radial ball bearings ( they use extra # of balls and have a insert groove on the inner race and the outer race ). More than likely you will need to go to an industrial parts supply house to get the "good" seals - all of the ones in the kits that I have seen have been the cheaper ones .
    HTH , Tom