Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

For those cutting the rear hangers off for the flip

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kyle89K5, Feb 22, 2001.

1. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Just thought I'd fill you in on my experience. Me and a buddy sat down to know the hangers off geared up for a FIGHT! Well, the first side took about 30 minutes. The second side took about 5. We used a big angle grinder with a cutoff wheel and just lopped the heads off real quick. To be honest, I was kinda let down by it all. I was ready for this thing to be a PITA!!!! It wasn't, as a matter of fact, I was back inside watching T.V. in no time at all. NOW, It helped a little that the gas tank was already gone, everything from the transfercase back is GONE, basically I was working on (now) bare frame rails, but still, it was an easy job.

Just thought I'd throug in my words of encouragement.

BTW, Boss, I didn't catch anything on fire either [​IMG]

Kyle
    89K5

2. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

EASY JOB! Let me tell you something! Hellraiser and I spent about 15 hours doing the flip. Dropped the gas tank and all then got to the hangers. I'd say 3-4 hours on one side, then 5-6 on the other. Hellraiser is a good man, thank god he had the patience or i would have been screwed!

<font color=red>1988 Chevrolet K5 Blazer, Middletown, NJ (07737).</font color=red> wkeil@home.com

3. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

OK, so when i do the flip on my 89, kyle is helping me, and hellraiser is bringing the beer!

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>
    don't lie. its a courier with a campershell

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Hell, I must have had it easy. The first side took a while cause we were trying to figure out where to situate the grinder. Once we get it squared, it was prb. less than a minute per rivet. Once I got the heads off, it was just a matter of a few small hits with the BFH then a punch on the rivets. Nothing to it. If it were me to do all over again, I'd do it the exact same way. The only thing they got us nervous, were the gas lines. I covered all of them with some overalls and manned the fire extinguisher and the power cord on half and my buddy did the other half. Talk about a let down, I was ready for a FIGHT!

Kyle
    89K5

5. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

I agree that the grinder method is the fastest/easiest way to get the rivits off.

When I did my flip, I used the torch on the 1st 3 rivits, then I ran out of acedaline. I broke out the 4" electric grinder, with a metal grinding wheel, and spent about 3 min's on each rivit head. Then I stuck a pry bar between the hanger and the frame and ripped the hanger off.

Then all it took was a good "Wack!" with my hammer and the rivit flew right out of the frame rail.

Man, I sure was happy I had that grinder around! [​IMG]

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com>http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com</A>

6. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

LOL Kyle!!

Ok, it took me like maybe 10 minutes or less a hanger, but yes, I caught my boot on fire...TWICE!!...LOL!! I like the sound of your method though. I should've thought of that. I figured the grinding method would've took forever! But I guess I was wrong. Great job though. I think if I were to do it again, I still would break out my oxy-acety torch, burnt toe or no toe[​IMG]
    Boss

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boss.coloradok5.com>http://www.boss.coloradok5.com</A>

7. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Don't get me wrong, if the torch had been there I sure would have used it. It was more a matter of what tool did I have handy that would cause the most damage.

Kyle
    89K5

8. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

Another easy way is to make a mark on the rivet heads with a punch, drill a 1/4 hole into the rivet to weaken it a little, and then use an air chisel to knock the head off. This method took me about a 1/2 hour per side. No cussing needed.

9. pumpwash

pumpwash Registered Member

i was thinking about torching holse in the hangers while they're still in place..... bad idea? yeah the gas tank is RIGHT THERE...... tell me your opinion...

greg

10. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Pumpwash,

If you have a K5, you will have to remove the gas tank REGARDLESS, in order to do the ORD shackle flip. So, once the tank is removed, cover all gas lines and wires and then go to town with your torch. You can check out my site for a write up on how to do so.
    Boss

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boss.coloradok5.com>http://www.boss.coloradok5.com</A>

11. LAZYMON

LAZYMON 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thanks for the encouragement here. I'll probably be doing this in the late spring and wasn't sure how I was going to tackle it. I think I'll rent the grinder and have at it.

PRAY FOR SNOW!

12. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

You guys really need to try a Plasma Cutter. Ha, talk about easy. I had those hangers off in no time. Drilling out the bushings in the spring eyes took me longer. LOL

See Ya,
    Keith

[​IMG] Born to Drive My K5 [​IMG]

13. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

You bastard!! I had a hell of a time with the drilling method. Drilled the crap outta the heads, hammered em off with a chisel and then punched out the studs. boy was that some work.