Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

For those discouraged by their Blazers always breaking down...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, May 1, 2004.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

...consider that even when they break, they break pretty easy, these old trucks.

The '74 [​IMG] started making this grinding rattling noise on the front left this week... grumble. All of my tools are back at the house, with my to-be-ex-wife, so even if I could negotiate with her some time to work, I'd have to drive the truck up there, and the noise is getting worse /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

And I can't work on the truck at the apartment.

So I finally go and get a bottle jack and find a reasonably out-of-the-way parking lot, in preparation to hork the front axle up and see if the sheet metal guard on the brakes has come loose, or if the calipers are messed up, or what...

didn't even have to take the wheel off. The plastic trim piece on the wheel had come loose. Tighten three bolts, and off we go. Good as new. Amazing how much noise the damn thing made!

Anyway, when you truck starts giving you fits and you're in a tight place, remember, it's better than driving a new truck. Or a Ford /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-- A

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Totally agree. these newer cars, when something breaks, your totally stranded. There is no way to jerry rig a OBD2 car/truck to want to run right if any electronics are fawked up.

Ask me how I know. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. stock93

stock93 Registered Member

Got to agree with that for sure. I had to put a clutch in mine yesterday and it was so much easier than a late model car. The neighbor tore up my rear bumper the other day. I pulled it off to finish fabing my new one. It took me all of 5 minutes to get it off. Try that on a new vehicle...

John

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've never been able to remove a bumper from one of our rigs without the use of the hot wrench. just a point. It doesn't matter whether the hood is filled with electronics or just a carb, your knuckles bust the same.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    remember, it's better than driving a new truck. Or a Ford /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-- A

[/ QUOTE ] I'd rather be driving a new Ford superduty with the 6.0 power stroke or a Duramax HD chevy. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Knuckles bust the same ... but not the brain nor the wallet! Save the engine block proper, I don't think there's a part under my Blazer's hood than costs more than $100... and I don't think there's anything under the new car hoods that costs less! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Never mind the fact that, knuckles and all, an untalented guy like me can work on the Blazer... even though I spent a week worrying about it and not driving it, because of a freaking piece of plastic... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

-- A

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I agree on some levels, but considering I've crossed the country East/West multiple times, once in a bad snow storm, sometimes in 100+ degree heat, and I've yet to do more than change oil in my cushy '02 2500HD, I'll take my chances for now... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

On the other hand, if it's between an 87/91 back vs. 87/91 forward high mileage and used; I'll go with the earlier models for exactly your reasons. Even pre EFI if I flat wanted the simplest I could get. Spend some $$$ getting all wear items rebuilt upgraded, and go with it... <shrug>

8. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

[ QUOTE ]
    I've never been able to remove a bumper from one of our rigs without the use of the hot wrench. just a point. It doesn't matter whether the hood is filled with electronics or just a carb, your knuckles bust the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats because of rust and where you live. When I disasembled my 75 I had just a few bolts on the entire truck give me any problms.

rust free is the way to be /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

STFU!

10. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    STFU!

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

11. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

I used to have a jeep. Everything was manual on it, except the distributor (Mallory electronic). Guess what little part failed in the middle of nowhere....

I always used to carry a spare after that.

-T

12. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I used to have a jeep. until it broke

-T

[/ QUOTE ]

At least you can fit a spare jeep in your pocket, try that with a fullsize /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

13. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

STFU!

[/ QUOTE ]

someone is jelous /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

actually no, my rig is probably lighter than yours because of the rust. less weight means less wear and tear on parts. plus i dont have to worry about trashing primo sheetmetal ON MULTIPLE RUST FREE RIGS! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

15. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

actually no, my rig is probably lighter than yours because of the rust. less weight means less wear and tear on parts. plus i dont have to worry about trashing primo sheetmetal ON MULTIPLE RUST FREE RIGS! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I hear that. Every rig I've ever owned looked similar to jjlaughner's! I'm picking up some diamond plate this week to patch my floors... that is... if he didn't buy all of it already /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

STFU!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]probably. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I'll take rusty trucks over living in shithole California any day. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

18. rooferbret

rooferbret 1/2 ton status

I wil take my rust free truck, Year round nice weather and high taxes over the rust belt anyday. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

19. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I used to have a jeep. until it broke

-T

[/ QUOTE ]

At least you can fit a spare jeep in your pocket, try that with a fullsize /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Being about 6'9" tall, I was always a little cramped in that thing anyway. The Blazer is much bigger!

The JEEP (Junk Each & Every Part) did have a weight advantage, however.
    -T