Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

for those of you running GM oil coolers for your trans cooler....fittings?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mpascino, Jul 24, 2002.

1. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

Hi guys, I am tring to use my oil cooler for my transmission cooler. Only problem is I can not find any fittings that will thread into the cooler itself. I also need to step the size down from 7/16 to 3/8 so I can run it to my existing trans lines, where did you guys find the fittings?
    Thanks in advance,
    Mike

2. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

dude,
    if you are talking about the factory oil cooler you you wont find anything for it, at least i didnt. i went to farm places, implement places, auto part stores, etc. i finaly went to a radiator shop and the dude heated up the braized on box type fitting and it came right off ! underneath is straight pipe/tubbing just like an after marker add-on tranny cooler. thats how i got my run on my blazer. no stupid weird a$$ angled fittings to mess with ! good luck, try it out, let me know. thanks. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

3. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I run two 28,000 B&M Coolers on my K5. One is the factory oil cooler, the other is the transmission cooler. The hottest temp FROM the trans cooler has been 160 degrees. You can't beat it.
    I bought all my brass fittings from NAPA. I hard plumbed the trans cooler with steel 5/16" brake line, so there are no rubber lines that will blow out.

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

a good hydraulic hose supplier will have every fitting known to man

5. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

I just got done trying to figure all this out to use my old oil lines from the diesel to adapt to the 400 oil filter adapter. Couldn't find the right fittings either!! Went to a hydraulic hose maker to get it figured out. Cost me 35 bucks just to put new fittings on my existing lines!! I would say to just buy an aftermarket tranny cooler. Price will probly be cheaper than trying to adapt all the lines. Most coolers come with all the hardware you will need. Plus you will NEVER get all the damn oil out of those lines!! Mine still do after 2 months of draining!! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif