Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

For those of you running the 14BSF axle - a BWP disc brake conversion kit!

Discussion in 'Vendor Forum' started by shane74, Sep 14, 2005.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

We now offer a disc brake conversion for those of you running a 14BSF axle.

We converted Ryan's (topdown) rig. He is currently running a 14BSF rear axle converted from 8 lug to 6lug, and w/ disc brakes. We had a few interesting challenges, but nothing that we couldn't handle!

He wanted to keep his 6 lug wheels, but have the strength of the 14BSF axle over the stock 12B. We used chromoly 6 lug axles shafts from Randy's Ring & Pinion to replace the 8 lug shafts. Once we had the axle shafts, we were then able to design a kit that will work for the stock 8 lug axles, as well as a converted 6 lug axle.

The good news is that we are able to incorporate most of the standard 14BFF parts into this kit.

In order to get everything to line up correctly, Ryan had to space the mounting bracket 2 1/4" off the current brake backing plate mounting flange. This is way to far for spacers in our opinion, so we designed the kit to use a new weld on mounting bracket, spacer, and caliper bracket, and mounting hardware.

The only tricky part about the kit will be to weld on the new mounting plate so that everything is straight. To take the guess work out of that, we will include spacer alignment hardware that is placed between the current backing plate mount, and the new weld on mount to keep everything straight while it is welded in place.

We still need to use a spacer between the caliper bracket and the axel mounting flange. We don't want anyone burning up their axle seals/bearings when they weld on the axle tube. This seems to be the best way to do this kit and keep it as bolt on as possible

The basic kit will include;
    New weld on mounting bracket
    Caliper bracket
    Caliper bracket spacer
    Weld on bracket alignment hardware
    Grade 8 mounting hardware

Right now, we're looking at $145 just for the basic kit. We will have pictures up on our site very soon of the basic and full kits.

2. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Sorry it took me so long to finally chime in here, I have been tearing out a wall in my garage to make more room :D for more stuff!

Anyway... here we go.

Currently my 14SF is set up with 6-lug axle shafts, converted from the 8-lug that it had when I got it. I didnt want to swap wheels or convert my front to 8-lug, that was way too expensive in the long run, and my wife really likes my wheels... :wink1:. Anyway, I opted to run the long spacer instead of the new weld-on bracket because I ran out of time and was supposed to be driving the Blazer to the beach the afternoon all the parts showed up. So, within a couple of hours of putting it all together, I loaded up me, my 2 boys, wife, 50-gallon water heater, enough food for 8 people for 4 days, 4 days worth of toys, clothes, carpet cleaner, misc other stuff my wife couldnt live without and headed out for a 3-hour tour to the beach. We made the trip in 2.5 hours, spent 4 days at the beach driving on the sand, through town, etc... and the drive home (minus the food, water heater, etc...) and it all worked beautifully. When I got home I took my wheels off and checked for any strange wear, stresses, etc... and it looked as clean as when I put it on, no issues at all...

Anyway. Now that I have the time I am thinking that I will use the new design, the weld-on flange. Just to reduce the possibility of anything strange happening over time (like in 20 years when the grade-8 bolts get rusty or something) I dont think that with the solid spacers there will ever or would ever be an issue being spaced out that far, especially since the bolt holes are so tight a tolerance (there is zero play between the bolt and the spacer hole, less than a human hair thickness between the two) so any possible deflection on the bolt would be distributed through the spacer.

The one thing that could have caused me a problem was converting from 7/16-20 to 1/2-20 on my wheel-studs. Though to be perfectly honest, I feel better about the bigger wheel studs, they fit in my aluminum wheels and I have no issues at all with them, so I think it was a good unintentional upgrade. I have broken 3 7/6-20 wheel studs on this Blazer, now I dont have to worry about it.

I think thats about it. I am VERY glad I upgraded to the 14-bolt, the shafts are twice as thick as the 12-bolt. I think the whole install took me about 2 hours from jack-up to jack-down. I did cheat though and use speed bleeders on my calipers, so that took some of the time out of the whole deal ($15.00 each from Black Widow Performance)

Oh, one last note. I am currently running the non-ebrake calipers and will be converting to an e-brake caliper when I get around to it...

If anyone has any questions, please send me a PM.

-Ryan

*No, I didnt paint my add-a-leaves, yes I know they are rusting and it looks bad - they are bare steel, rust happens... :D

Notice the *BLING* Stainless Steel brake lines...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2015
  3. primetime

primetime Registered Member

what are the rotors & calipers are from?

4. co. state patrol 90 jimmy

co. state patrol 90 jimmy Newbie

:eek1: are you going to get rid of your old bracket setup?how much?

5. ford_assassin

ford_assassin 1/2 ton status

Digging up an old post........

I have a 14bsf from a 1990 Burb. It had 8 lug axles that I had welded up and re-drilled for my 6 lug wheels. I have been running the factory drums.

Assuming I buy a pair of 8 lug rotors and have them re-drilled for the 6 lug pattern, will your brackets/spacers kit work for me?

Thank you for your time.

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

The easy answer is yes :D. But, if you have access to a machine shop, it might be easier for you to turn the outer flange on your axles down and run a 6 lug rotor. PM me your # and I can help you out with the details. It's pretty simple.