Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

for those of you that put 3" body lifts on ur rigs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Oct 19, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

for those of you that put 3\" body lifts on ur rigs

whats issues did you run into..fan shroud...tranny linkage...steering shaft..anything else? what did you do for these? mostly the steering shaft..

2. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

Re: for those of you that put 3\" body lifts on ur rigs

there was a post a while back with a large list of potenial issues. you may want to do a search in addition

a couple to add to your list would be speedo cable and tcase linkage.

fan shroud - i took a sawzall and cut the lower section of the hroud away until the fan cleaared

steering shaft - i didnt touch it, it seems to work, there is an expansion/compression joint in there already to keep the steering wheel from impacting you when you hit something head-on

t-case linkage - im not sure on a 208 (if that is what you ahve) if there is enough adjustment.

tranny linkage - just cut and reweld a spacer rod in your current linkage.

speedo cable - mine was a stretch, yours might work also.

good luck

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

thanx...tryed a search didnt come up with to much so i posted...i think ill just go for it and see what happens..also i was thinking about putting a floor shifter in instead of the column shifter so that would probobly iliminate that problem.but of course thats another 100 bucks or so..so that wouldnt happen till after the fact..easy enoug to just modify the linkage anyhow

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I left steering shaft alone too...no issues as of yet. Seems fine.

5. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

Same here,

Took and cut bottom of fan shroud, The steering shaft worked without problem, Cut tranny linkage and added 3in. T-case I just left it hooked to my 203, it's 3in. shorter then it was but still works fine,speedo, was a bit fun, but got a cable 3in.longer for a chevy truck,hooked right in my 203 case.(Too bad the speedo has'nt worked in this truck for a couple years!LOL) it did'nt work when my neghibor had it. But that's another thread.

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea thats another idea..screw the speedo cable all together lol..but if i can make it work i would..were could you find a longer cable anyhow?

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Well in my case, I had an auto trans from the factory and now I have a manual so thats probably where the extra speedo cable came from. If not, swap in a cable from a longer tranny/xfer setup.

8. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

W/ the 208 youll have issues w/ the Tcase linkage w/ the shifter mounted to the body. Not a real bright move on GMs part IMO. I had to make a "Zbar" type linkage for it. Its not perfect but it works 99% of the time. On particularly hard mud runs or hits on a snatch strap pulling someone itll pop out on me sometimes from the movement of the eng tranny and case.

My speedo cable worked fine, the fan shroud was all butched up but I went to electric so it didnt matter, and the yahoo P/O welded all the bumper mounts on in the lifted position. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I did NOT install the B/L on mine but have been fixing the P/Os screw ups. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif