Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

For Those of You w/ Rear Window Down and LOTS of Fumes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by HispanicPanic, Dec 1, 2001.

1. HispanicPanic

HispanicPanic 1/2 ton status

well this is the first time i put my hard top back on since i got my exhaust redone and boy what a diff. first let me tell you what the prob. was: when i would roll the back window down (cuz you know the HP has to thump his system) i would get high off all those damn fumes so i decided time to re-locate my exhaust ends. the 1st time i put them to the side one pipe behind the drivers side tire and the other behind pass. side, rear of the tire as well and as long as i had my camper was off there was no prob. but as soon as i would put it back on i was high again [​IMG]. so the next summer i redid it again and that time i had them going straigt back but not out all the way, they were just above my axle and same thing again [​IMG]. so this summer i redid my entire exhaust 2.5 inch pipes with 40 series flows and this time i put them right after the T-case and ADDED turn downs, dump offs, what ever you call them in your state,town,city,village, and Presto no more fumes it turned out awsome. the funny thing was i had forgotten i had done that for that reason till today when i put the top on and got on the freeway and noticed "hey the back window is down, im slowing down and i cant smell anything" so for those of you that so care about getting high on fumes and having watery eyes this was just for you

<font color=purple>I put the Panic in Hispanic</font color=purple>[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Too bad downturns are illegal most everywhere on a K5...especially if you live where they do emissions tests.

Tailpipes must exit behind the passenger compartment, which on a K5 is behind the rear tires...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

You could get a cutout at a performance shop, and take the plate off when you have the top on and the window down.

90K5

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Hey I happen to like fumes from my chevy[​IMG]

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

5. k5texan

k5texan 1/2 ton status

hispanicpanic
    was there a major sound difference on the inside of the truck with the turn downs or was it about the same as with them exiting out the back
    thanks jared

6. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

i think the fumes make good conversation pieces plus i can get high for the price of a gallon of gas...its cheap to me man...and its legal

Later

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

7. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I really do love the smell of freshly burnt fuel.

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. Locked front and back.

8. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the increase in sound/noise would kill me. My Flowmasters are loud enough I'm thinking about replacing them altogether.

<font color=red>"SETTING OFF ALARMS IN A CITY NEAR YOU!"</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BigTex-Mean-Machine>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BigTex-Mean-Machine</a>

9. Innerpiece

Innerpiece 1/2 ton status

my hardtop as a little stupid wing on the back end of it. I though it was retarded until I was driving in the rain and noticed that the rain was blowing hard down and forward onto the rear glass. The little wing pushes fresh air from over the top down and keeps the fumies out. My pipes exit left and right just past the rear tires. FWIW

10. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I seem to always get fumes also... I had the ends exiting behind the tire and now pretty close to the same way you do and still get fumes... A while back I drove a stock Burb with the factory exhaust and also got fumes. I think I just have an over-sensative nose! [​IMG]

Mike

<font color=green>"1024x768x256... Sounds like one mean woman."</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

11. Philly87

Philly87 1/2 ton status

k5texan
    I along wit a few of my friends have turned down our exhaust with the flowmasters and I've found that it actually quiets them down a bit. Don't understand why but it did on mine.

Philip

12. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

I thought that's what the spoiler on the top above the window was for, to keep out the fumes, and to keep the window clean.

Eric78K5
    K5-Because Size Matters!

13. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I dont thing that spoiler does a whole hell of a lot. I went wheelin on Saturday in thw snow and had the heat on and the windows down (rear too) and the snow that was being kicked up was then sucked in the back. It was snowin on the back of my neck.... it was crazy but fun at the same time...My pipes exit each side just behind the rear wheel wells and I only have exhaust problems whenI am in rush-hour traffic going like 10-20 mph...once I pick up a little spped, I am good to go

<font color=red>1987 Blazer K5, 4" Rancho Lift, 33" BFG AT, Dual Battery setup, AND MORE TO COME [​IMG]
    Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red>

14. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I think this is a really individual thing, like each truck seems to have different rules. I've changed my suspension and ended up with fumes where I never had them before. Worst thing is it really only added about an inch of ride height, so no major change, but enough to make is suck again. Seems to be one of the peskier (is that a word?) problems with the K5's.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>