Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

For those of you with Poly body mounts...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fortcollinsram, May 13, 2003.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

What did you use to lube up the poly mounts so they wouldn't squeak like a mofo...? I was thinking Syl-Glyde (the suff you use to lube float pins and such on disc brakes)I just hate theat damn squeaky noise they tend ot get...any ideas?

Chris

2. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Astro Glide or KY /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually I used white lithium grease. Someone sugested graphite. Mine have been on for 6 months and don't squeak

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Although you make fun of it Asto Glide is awesome for lubricating seals on the hard top to keep them from sticking over the winter months... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Chris

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Body mounts aren't supposed to be moving, you might want to check into tightening them up.

My truck was squeaking before and after the poly body mounts, I can't blame the mounts.

My poly mounts made no difference over stock. No more noise, no more harshness in ride, nothing. No chance yet to check to see if they stiffened the body up enough to keep the body panels from flexing as much though.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Only time I hear my pollys is when the truck is really twisted up off road. They don't squeek at all on the road. Now my polly suspension is a different story.

After having polly body mounts I will NEVER put them on a daily driver. Trail truck...yeah I would do it again.

So much road noise and engine noise is now transmittied it isn't even funny. My mounts were so bad that at a couple places the floor was touching the frame. Now there is a minimum of 1.5 inches with the adition of a 1 inch body lift. More noise then when the body was touching even.

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

The poly mounts I got from Energy Supension were impregnegted with polygraphite(black ones not red) to reduce the dreaded poly squeak. I don't hear mine at all, they have been in there for about 8yrs maby more.

7. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Now my polly suspension is a different story.

After having polly body mounts I will NEVER put them on a daily driver. Trail truck...yeah I would do it again.

So much road noise and engine noise is now transmittied it isn't even funny. My mounts were so bad that at a couple places the floor was touching the frame. Now there is a minimum of 1.5 inches with the adition of a 1 inch body lift. More noise then when the body was touching even.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I know nothing about poly body mounts (or any style for that matter), but just assumed I'd get a set of polys from Energy suspension. The mounts for my core support are completely shot (read: torn up, hanging out). My truck will probably be my weekend driver/Trail truck. Would you recommend I go a different route than poly?

Oh yeah, not planning on lifting the body at all.

8. 76SILVERADO

76SILVERADO Registered Member

i have the energy suspension ones.... no noise here

9. Grim-Reaper

Well my truck is bare steel floor. That is part of the problem. some carpet would absorb a lot of the noise. I'm getting ready to hurculine it. I'll see if it makes a difference. I plan to use a undercoating gun and spray the huculiner so I can get it a little thicker up front.

The noise is not horrible but I noticed it the first 100 feet I drove it. I actually turned around and ulled back in the drive and spent some time making sure that there wasn't soemthing wrong. The noise is actually noise off both the engine and the tires resonating on the body.

If you remeber Dean Waters and the blue 74 over a ORC he made comment about it as well when he went to Polly.

10. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i have the energy suspension ones.... no noise here

[/ QUOTE ]

same here, no lube on rubbers /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

yeah I know they are not rubber its a joke /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    poly bushings

11. mcmlxix

mcmlxix Registered Member

Do the energy suspension poly mounts give a harsh ride. I need to replace the stock mounts and not sure if I want to go poly or just with new rubber ones. LMC sells the stock kit with hardware. I also want a 2" body lift.

12. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I suspect you might have something else wrong Grimmy. I have poly body mounts all around on my 74 and have no problems with noise, squeaking, or anything. They don't transmit any more vibration than the stock rubbers did.

Maybe I'm just lucky? I dunno...

I used a poly set that I ordered from JC Whitney. They were daystars I think. It's been a good 3 years since I put these suckers in.

13. Grim-Reaper

[ QUOTE ]
    I suspect you might have something else wrong Grimmy. I have poly body mounts all around on my 74 and have no problems with noise, squeaking, or anything. They don't transmit any more vibration than the stock rubbers did.

Maybe I'm just lucky? I dunno...

I used a poly set that I ordered from JC Whitney. They were daystars I think. It's been a good 3 years since I put these suckers in.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm an old man...sensitive to noise. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I can tell when my #5 plug is starting to foul.

14. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

grim

after the concert i went to last night it'd be good to here my truck running.

could you put 1/4 inch or so hardened rubber mount or so to helpo stop the squeek. kind like a spring pad cut to size.

nathan