Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

For those running 56" rears backwards...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Paxx, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

For those running 56\" rears backwards...

If I do the rear 56's and run them backwards for the extra 4" of wheelbase with a shackle flip, will I have issues with the inners hitting. I would like to run 39.5" tires with this setup but I do not want to lose the inners because the truck is my dd. I know Micah had to remove his but I also know he is running 42's. Can anyone answer this for me?

Thanks
    ~Max

2. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

Re: For those running 56\" rears backwards...

hijack: (sortof)

-when doing this set-up, do you have to move the hangers forward? and do you have to re-drill the spring pack?

-is there any links someone could send me? (my truck is finally going to become a toy and planning for next project)

3. bboy

bboy Registered Member

4. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Hey thanks bboy, that's some nice fab work you do there. Have you had a chance to take it out and see if the droop has caused any binding issues yet? Also did you relocate your spring perches when you did this or shim it?
    Thanks

Tree you don't have to redrill the spring pack. The center pin is offset by 4". If you run the springs normally your axle will stay where it is. If you run the springs backwards it will automatically relocate your axle back 4"

Here is a link with some good info on this swap. Flexy Link /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The only problem I forsee with this is pinion angle. Your pinion joint is going to want to bind if you run the 56s backwards.

6. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If I do the rear 56's and run them backwards for the extra 4" of wheelbase with a shackle flip, will I have issues with the inners hitting. I would like to run 39.5" tires with this setup but I do not want to lose the inners because the truck is my dd. I know Micah had to remove his but I also know he is running 42's. Can anyone answer this for me?

Thanks
    ~Max

[/ QUOTE ]

Not 56's, but I am running 57's backwards for the extra wheelbase, pinion angle is fine, and I just trimmed the fenders.. (had about 4" of lift and 38's) now up to about 6" of lift in the rear.
    [​IMG]

7. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The only problem I forsee with this is pinion angle. Your pinion joint is going to want to bind if you run the 56s backwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not trying to argue, but With a shackle flip your pinion is pointed up allready, and the 4" is not far along the curve of the spring to measure much of a drop on the pinion yoke. I run 56" backwards and still ended up using a double cardan on the front of my rear driveshaft, my pinion yoke points to the rear output on the transfer case.

Sorry, can't help on the inner fenders, don't have any.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Basically my point is that the pinion will try to point downward more than if they were run the other way under droop.

I was going to try them up front but my angles are horrible enough as it is so I ditched the idea.

9. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I am running 56" springs with the axle 4" back. I have 39.5x13.5x16.5" Iroks and 4" backspacing on my wheels. I have not cut my inner fenders out and I just barly rub them when stuffed. You do have to trim the back part of the quarter panel out some. Pinion angles and fine and if they aren't cut and reweld your perches to fix them

Pic

[​IMG]

10. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Ok, please help me understand all this guys...

I see here that running the 56's backwards gives a 4" increase in wheelbase.

Typically, I see that people running an ORD 4" flip use a Zero Rate with the 1.5" offset to recenter the axle to it's original position.

Now... running the combination of the 56's backwards (+4" in wheelbase) and the 4" flip (-1.5" in wheelbase) should net me 2.5" of increased wheelbase, right?

I'm not necessarily trying to stretch the wheelbase but I figure if I can get some free inches, why not? FWI - I plan on trimming a fair amount so the rear 1/4 panel skirt will be gone (no worries about tire/body interference there).

11. nvrenuf

TTT /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

12. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

actually I had to remove my fender wells because the inside of my tires were getitng into the wheel well, I never ran into an issue with it hitting the rear of the well. My rims are set at 4 1/2 inch backspacing and i didn't lower the shackle flip as much as i could have since i didn't want the shackle to get into the rocks. I used an upside down overload and another one which was cut down zero rate style to make a bit more lift.

77mudbuddy is also running the 56's but he's running them with the echobit flip and he has had no problems leaving his wheel wells. He did cut a small football shape into the corner of the well where it meets the floor, but he also has no problem with the rear.

yes, the 56's give you an added 4 inches in wheel base. As for pinion angle, its not even an issue.

13. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

neverenuf, what u said sounds right, i just put mine in w/ the full 4" move. gave me a lot better d-shaft length for the doubler

14. nvrenuf

[ QUOTE ]
    neverenuf, what u said sounds right, i just put mine in w/ the full 4" move. gave me a lot better d-shaft length for the doubler

[/ QUOTE ]

SAWEEEET!! Thanks!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

15. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

As I've mentioned many times before, when running asymmetric springs backwards, the pinion will move exactly counter to what you want as the suspension cycles. Air it out and the pinion will rotate down, when you land, it will rotate up. If all you do is crawl, it's not such a big deal since the spring bind cancels it out, but it is something to be aware of...