Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

For those running autozone gabriel shocks...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87BrnRsd, Apr 12, 2005.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I am thinking of throwing 2 on the rear of my blazer. Which ones work best offroad? How do you like them? And how do you find the right length. I know about what length I need but autozone usually only sells stock size stuff. Did yall just go in and ask to see different lengths until you found the one you wanted? Just curious.
    -Harrison

2. bigcat44

bigcat44 Registered Member

I am running these up front and in the back and love them. I had Ransho 5000s on before and the ride sucked. These work well for me. I am not sure of the AZ part number but it is listed in one of these forums under post your numbers. Scroll through and you should have your P/Ns. I used the P/Ns in that thread for my 4"lifted Jimmy

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Use em on mine too. In almost the same combo as you too. You'll find they are suitable, and they do their job. Sometimes you do want a stiffer shock though- the echobit makes the rear real soft, and the gabriels dont do much to stop that. (but it doesnt make it pogo either).

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

By asking "which ones work best", it seems you are implying that there are choices, such as different valving options, which there are not. There will only be one Gabriel shock listed for your application. If you don't have the part numbers (although I have posted both the front and rear before), you can just go in and tell them the vehicle. Somewhere on their computer there is an option for "with lift" that brings up the longer shock. I used to run Heckethorn Nitro 9000's and these are softer than those.

If you compare these to most "lift kit brand" shocks, you will notice that they look identical, except for the price tag. Throw in a lifetime warranty and the deal is pretty good, especially when they run the Buy 3 get 1 free deals. A set of lifetime warranty shocks for $60, compared to $140+ for "lift kit branded" units.

5. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

I saved this from another post for when I switch to them. I didn't save who the author was-sorry.

"I'm not sure part numbers were ever posted for both front and rear, so here goes:

Front: gabriel G63437 (Gas Ryder LT, VST) Collapsed/Expanded: 14"/23"
    Rear: Garriel G63438 (Ultra, G-Force) Collapsed/Expanded: 18"/30"

These are exactly the same lengths as the shocks that came with my 4" lift kit some years ago. However, these are softer , cost only $20 and have a lifetime warranty.

You can actually walk in and tell them the make and model and if you find the right guy, he can select an option for "with lift kit" and these part numbers will show up (no joke). I worked with them and their books for a while and found that I could find the cheaper, softer kind of shocks for the front, but not for the rear (none were long enough). However, I did not record the numbers.

They were having a buy 3 get 1 free sale, so I got 4 shocks with warranty for $60. (Rough Country charges $140, Skyjackers go for about $130, etc.) I think most of these "lift kit brand" shocks are made by gabriel and Monroe anyway. Maybe someday I can run these rear shocks in the front with the Ford shock towers."

6. dallassnowman

dallassnowman 1/2 ton status

Anyone use Gabriel for non lifted blazers???
    How do u like?

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have the rears with a shackle flip and love them . I also have the stock size ones from when the truck was stock , and loved those too . I still have them with lifetime warranties :D