Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

For those running High Amp Alternators

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudbug1979, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

I'm getting a little squeling when I'm running all the accessories. I've been told to run a double pulley and belt to help this out and get the full charge under full load. I have a 350 w/ the buick roadmaster 140amp alt. What are you running on yours? I've put a new belt on and that lasted about 1 month (doesn't get driven that often), and the tension is good, not too hard and not too loose. Where is the best place to look for the double pulleys and is there one that maybe came OEM on some make vehicle that I could use instead of buying a new one. Thanks Ahead of time.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Lots of Mopar stuff had double pulley alternators in the 70's. Perhaps you can adapt one of those fit?

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

You can take off your existing pulley and weld another to the front of it. Not to hard a project. Hardest part is getting the pulley off.

4. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

Also the water pump pully has to support an additional belt there.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm not running a HD alternator, but I AM running the "semi-serpentine" setup off of a late 80's Monte Carlo.

It doesn't use idlers or tensioners, but runs around the water pump and crank.

Kind of the worst of both V-belt and serpentine worlds, but it should provide a lot better grip without the "hassle" of dealing with dual pulleys/belts.

Still uses v-belts for anything else you want to run. If you grab the power steering pump from that setup, it is much better than earlier, although you need a waterpump with a threaded hole in it. Still, adjusting tension on the pump with just a 5/8" open end is really nice. Besides, mixing and matching pulleys will get you in trouble, if you go the route I did, you'll want all the stock pulley's.

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Know of any part numbers or vehicles that will have this? I am having the same problem with my 140A pontiac alt.