Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

For those running propane...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79k20350, Nov 16, 2005.

1. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

So ive been thinking about switching to propane. i like the mpfi i have now but ive had a few problems and its a pain to tune (for some reaons i cant get the diagnotic port to work) i have a 350 block sitting aorund that needs some work and i was thinking boring it .30 over and then doinng propane. so far ive been looking at the techno carb kit. http://www.technocarb.com/brouchures.htm (the 4v offroad kit for pre 87 vechicles) I like the fact that it runs at any angle, almost no tuning and no fuel pump. so a few questions. There are some people who run propane/ gas, how did you accomplish this? what type of setup do you use? what kind of mileage do you get compared to gas? what did you do for a tank? how much total did your conversion cost? thanks guys, i appreciate it!

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

come on i know your out there...

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

come on, dont make me beg!

4. jack brooks

jack brooks Newbie

propane

Just to let you know I have a 83 chevy that runs on propane and I love it.I was lucky enough to get picked to go to Attica IN. for the Four Whelers Real Truck Challenge 2004. I had lots of people who were skeptical of my setup but when I fired the thing off they were believers. It has advantages and disadvantages... If you have a trail only rig, It is the only way to go. You can bounce the truck have it tipped sideways..propane does not know IT WILL RUN!! Plus you do not have to worry about your "carb" running rich....no boggs ! But It does loose power on the street.The only disadvantage that I have come across is I lost my four barrel. But in the woods I am in fourwheel drive anyways so you never notice. As for the mileage..a stock engine does better, but mine is about the same as gas. I can ride all day on 1 and a half tanks..like forklift tanks(30 lbs).I am running a 468ci BBchevy, with closed chamber 396 heads/slight work, a weind stealth manifold,and a comp cams 284h w/ 240/246 @50 lift of 573/578. I am pleased with how my truck runs , and people said it would never work....got to love it!! hope I helped you out..

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

Jack, welcome to CK5 man! RTCC was a blast. i'm Jeremy, i was one of the crew members for Tim Nuccio, the one with the red and silver K1500 that we were using for a support truck throughout the event. glad you decided to drop in.

obviously, i have seen Jack's truck perform in person, and its a pretty impressive machine. it was awful pretty at RTCC. since its been flopped now, i wonder how long before it turns into a truggy. :D :p:

6. jack brooks

jack brooks Newbie

Hey whats up?? Thanks for the kind words...Yes Phil got me hooked on this site,so I am still learning my way around.I am ready to do some work to my truck.. so hopefully I will get some good performing Ideas on here..Top Truck Challenge?? That is what I am shooting for!!! JACK

7. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

thanks for the reply. yeah i know all about the advantages, i was just wondering specifiaclly about mileage (i figured it was close) and dual fuel setups.