Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

For those that are running Vortec heads

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dyeager535, Jul 17, 2003.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What did you use for intake bolts, and to what torque?

I bought factory bolts, then come to find out, not all of the bolt holes are "blind"...thus, can't tighten them down until they bottom out like I thought I would be able to.

I have a feeling the 11ft-lbs called for by GM is due to the stock composite intake, and with the aluminum intakes all of us are running, that torque spec can be safely increased by a fair margin.

My mistake for buying factory bolts for $2/each or whatever they cost, should have just purchased some at a local hardware store. Now I have to cut these down. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I used factory bolts and gaskets, and tightened them to the factory spec. Or maybe the Edelbrock intake came with instructions for torque. Either way, they are at less than 20 lb-ft.

3. dyeager535

Hmm.

Ok, well thanks for the input. Can't believe they kept the torque so low going from composite to aluminum, but I'm no engineer.

You using the Fel-Pro gaskets, or genuine GM ones for the Vortecs?

Hard to find a torque wrench that I would trust down to 11 ft lbs or so.

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I am using the GM O-ring style gaskets. It is the design of the gasket that dictates the torque, not the intake. If you are using the Fel-Pro gaskets, I would have to see them to decide what to do. If they are a normal type of gasket, I would use a little more torque. It is really not all that critical, just snug it down and keep an eye out for leaks. It's not like it's a head gasket, or a stressed connection.

5. dyeager535

Yeah I'm running the GM intake gaskets.

Problem with the 11 ft lbs is getting it "close". 11 ft lbs is certainly not very much, and the outer bolts are bottoming out before they are even touching the intake, while the inner ones don't of course, having threads all the way through the heads into the lifter valley.

6. sandy78

sandy78 Registered Member

I built my motor about 18 mos. ago w/vortec heads, '78 block, and the Edelbrock Performer for the Vortecs. My recollection though admittedly fuzzy is this:
    The bolts are designed to bottom out in the hole to prevent overtorquing. In fact, I seem to remember that the bolts had a rounded end.... I also think I remember a washer. I have had no leaks or other problems. I got my parts from Scoggin-Dickey down in Texas. I got their "Vortec intake bolt kit" and the standard GM Intake gasket. You can find Scoggin-Dickey on the web at www.sdpc-2000.com I also remember that they had a "tips" section on this subject with things like the torque spec and sequence etc. The components for this application are specific, so if things didn't seem to be going together right, I would double check all my parts. Let me know if you have any other questions, and I can look back at my notes.

7. dyeager535

These are the Vortec specific intake bolts, and they have the "ball tip", but on my heads, only 4 out of 8 of those holes are "blind", so the ball tip is worthless. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I checked SDPC's page, but didn't find anything on the torque specs. If you've got a link, I'd appreciate it. I'm sure I've seen it before, just can't find it now.

8. jasonkh2tg

jasonkh2tg 1/2 ton status

I don't have all my paper work at my dads place...but I belive 11 lbs is gm spec...but when I got the edelbrock there specs where 15 lbs and they gave a order in which you need to bolt them down in...edelbrock also called for lock-tite on all the bolts...just make sure to use GM bolts or that's what they say to do...there not that much so you might as well do it right... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i just went to the dealer asked to see a sample and got the measurments. went down to the hw store and got some grade 8 bolts, for under the cost of one GM bolt. i slaped on some silicon(locktight will work) and screw them in to 12-lbs. i've been runing with them for over 2yrs now. no problems.

ARQ.

10. dyeager535

Yeah, it was suggested before that I just go buy cheap bolts, and I should have.

Kinda curious though as to others Vortec heads...were all 8 intake bolt holes blind, or only 4 of them, like my heads?

11. sandy78

sandy78 Registered Member

Sorry this took so long, but I had some looking to do before I found it all. Best info. I have is from Edelbrock's instruction sheet for the #2116 aluminum intake for the vortec heads. They recommend torque to be 18-20 ft lbs. torque sequence with left = front of engine is:
    Recommended gasket is GM OEM p/n 12529094, no chemicals except ends which should be RTV instead of anything that comes in the gasket set. Good luck. Let me know if you have any other questions.

12. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

132 inch lbs.
    inch lbs TQ wrench is your friend.
    Grant

13. dyeager535

Appreciate that info!

I kinda figured they would bump the numbers up some with the AL intakes.

I had to cut the tips off of the bolts, the outer ones wouldn't even touch the intake before they bottomed out. I got a good deal on these heads, I have no doubt they are "factory seconds", which is why 4 holes are blind, and 4 aren't. In any case, I can now get all 8 bolts to "bite" into the intake, so should have no problems putting a bit of torque on them to get them to seal.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I wish I had some Vortec heads to complain about.

15. dyeager535

Yeah I haven't looked to hard for an inch lbs wrench yet.

I certainly don't trust the ft-lbs wrench that low, the bolts bottomed out (I was just playing around with it) and set at 15 ft lbs, the thing still wouldn't click.

*If* I had paid full price for these vortecs, I would be pissed at how many problems they have caused. I would have saved the money the specific intake cost me, and got some different heads.

Carbed vortec swap is a no brainer. The injection setup complicates matters exponentially. But, it IS all my fault. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif