Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

For those that care, 6.2 intake manifold options.

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by afroman006, Jul 27, 2005.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I have a few different 6.2 intake manifolds sitting around and figured some people might not know what options are available, so here's pics of the ones I have. For the newbs, these are all non-EGR intakes. First, is the normal dual plain intake, found on most non-EGR trucks. Second is a chevy truck single plane intake pictured next to a hummer 6.2 single plane intake. The civilian versrion is on the right and the hummer one is on the left. I'll let the experts explain why one is better than the other but here's the pics.

7-26-05 008.jpg

7-26-05 007.jpg

7-26-05 005.jpg

7-26-05 006.jpg

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Cool! I hope you don't mind, but I 'stole' one of those pic's to illustrate something in the garage. :crazy:

Rene

3. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

One thing I can say about them is that if you go single plane and get the truck version you won't have to worry about how your going to bolt your air cleaner back on. Notice the hummer manifold is shorter. I had to fab up a spacer so I could reuse my stock air cleaner assembly because otherwise it would bottom out on the manifold. I also thought that I would just turn the air cleaner cover sideways since the hold down bolts are oriented 90 degrees away from the truck version but they use different threads also. :doah:

4. afroman006

Good, that makes my trouble worth the effort! I thought it was interesting that the truck single plain was taller, I'm sure there's a reason but I sure dont know it.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Taller for a NA makes for a faster air intake meaning more air.

6. tRustyK5

I will say that whatever manifold you run I'd seriously consider a bit of time with a die grinder on it. I gasket matched mine, then blended and polished the bowl area. The amount of material needed to be removed at the ports varied wildly, but in some areas the port and gasket were mismatched by up to 1/4".

For comparison I laid the gasket on the heads and those ports were much closer in size and port location. It seemed the casting accuracy on the intake was just poor, whereas the heads were better.

My intake is the same as the top picture.

Rene

7. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

The intake for a hummer has to be lower to fit under the hood, and hummers don't utilize a "breather" assembly like trucks do. Its more of a horn looking piece. I looked into getting one for my truck to seal water tight for a snorkle setup. The hummer intake horn also has a line coming into it for the CTIS. I thought this was very interesting, the compressor intake uses filtered air from the large motor filter :thinking:

I'll try to get a pic

8. steve_kibbe

what year truck came with the single plane intake?

My 83 3/4 has the non egr dual plane.

9. steve_kibbe

here's the pic, its the piece that says NO STEP. Notice how close to the cowl it is.....can't be too tall :o

hummer motor.jpg

10. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

I'm getting ready to install a dual-plane like shown in the first pic to replace the EGR intake on my 90 Burb. I plan to gasket-match it like Rene did.

Do you think there would be any performance gain by removing the divider in the plenum? I don't think it would make much of a difference, since there's no carb sitting on top of the intake "sealing" it into a dual-plane like on a gas engine.

But if it would make a difference, I would not have a problem getting my dad to throw it on his milling machine and cut it out before I install it. :)

11. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I have the later style, single plane intake (as shown on the right in the second set of photos) on my engine. I believe it came out in '88 or later. It came out the same time the CDR was moved to the passenger side valve-cover.

Casey

12. steve_kibbe

I see, did they change when gm changed the body style in 88?

13. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Probably. That's the year they also went to a serpentine belt setup.

Casey

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

What years ??

When did the CDR valve get moved to the passenger side??- :ears: --I've been trying to determine what year my 6.2 motor in my truck is--(its been replaced with a junkyard one,suppossedly with low mileage)..or is there any numbers I can de-code somewhere lik on a small block??...sorry if this is a highjack!--I never knew the CDR valve was anywhere BUT on the passenger side rocker cover(all the 6.2's I saw in the boneyard had them there)..I'd really like to know what year the motor is,in case it matters for parts like a water pump,etc... :bow: :crazy:

15. afroman006

The truck that the civilian single plain intake came off of is quite a basket case. It is an 89 R/V series cab and chassis 1 ton 2wd dually. When I bought it, I figured the auction retards had mislabeled it because it has the regular early-mid 80's grill, but I found some registration paperwork in the glovebox that confermed it to be a 89, so I dont know wtf to think. If I could find the plenum from either a hummer like the one pictured, or a 6.5L TD to bolt onto my hummer intake, that'd work perfect for my snorkle setup. If I can bring myself to shell out the skrilla for a die grinder I might get around to port matching later on but its not in the cards at this point.

16. steve_kibbe

I have my intake off right now, and there is alot of material coming off my intake before it goes back on :grind:

17. tRustyK5

Yeah, i had quite an impressive pile of shavings by the time I was done with mine. The intake ports at the gasket should be 1" by 2" and most of mine were 3/4" by 1.75" and quite irregular compared to the gasket. Amazing how poor the casting accuracy was...

Rene

18. steve_kibbe

I'll take a befoer and after pic, if I remember :doah: