Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

for those that cut out the rockers for sliders.... couple Q's for ya

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Feb 10, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

for those that cut out the rockers for sliders.... couple Q\'s for ya

I'm just getting ready to cut mine (the rockers are already gone... literally)
    I'm trimmed all the way back but there is the front fender bolt and mount between the front fender and cab.... Did you cut this out or cut a notch in your tube?

I'm also going to use the same 3x3 tube in 10-12" sections to support the new floors under the seat and maybe tie it in with my new bedfloor sub frame with some 1x2 3/16th I have sitting here so its going to be solid. Probley more solid than the frame. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Anyhow... question cut the bolt out and tuck the tube up to it and weld? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. jjlaughner

Re: for those that cut out the rockers for sliders.... couple Q\'s for ya

this bolt
    [​IMG]

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I notched the tube so that bolt remained untouched. Without that bolt either the fender will flap in the breeze or you'll have to find an alternate way of securing it.

I drilled some drain holes in the bottom of the tube too...

Rene

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I cut the bolt and spot welded the fender on. But I am not making rocker boxes I am making sliders that mount to the frame so that bolt would have been visible.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

On my son's K5, we cut it all off and raised the rockers about 8", so we had no choice. But his front fender and rear bed side now attach with allen head button screws. The rocker rail (2x3 laying flat) has pieces of 1/8" angle welded on top so that one arm sticks up. The button heads thread into that to hold the sheet metal.

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I cut it off and left it alone. The fenders flap a little on the freeway but it is nothing horrible, looks more hardcore for my poser mall cruiser. The bedises are welded to the slider though.

7. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    I notched the tube so that bolt remained untouched. Without that bolt either the fender will flap in the breeze or you'll have to find an alternate way of securing it.

I drilled some drain holes in the bottom of the tube too...

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

That was our first idea but I'm afraid of the indiana salt and getting mudd in there blocking the drain holes /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I'm planning on welding the skins back to the slider in spots

8. jjlaughner

Welding that tab back to the slider on the top was a close second but with the inner fender in it's going to be hard to weld there, unless I tack it in the front then wait till spring when the inner feders are coming out...

Second part of the idea so people see where I'm going, I'm thinking about doing the flat fender conversion that was on that red blazer in the one of the offroad mags this summer. I got talking about it and JeremyK5 says 'OH like that guy in the magazine?' /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif DAMN I thought I had a good idea /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

I'll trim to above the marker light, up to the body line (leaving room for the batterys up front behind the headlights), down the body line the curve back to the bottom of the floor.
    EX
    [​IMG]

Of course onthe drivers side I will have to make a hole and fill it with a big rubber grommet for the steering shaft to pass thru down to the steering box. I'm wanting to keep the front grill area untouched including the quad headlights.