Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

For those that have done the swap to 14b ff......

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Zeus33rd, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I finally got my hands on a 14b ff, and I'll be doin the swap this weekend I hope, Is there anything that I need to know? Anything thats gonna hold me up? I'm pretty sure I have all the basees covered, spring perches and all that are good....GOt the necisisary U-joint from napa....Anything else that might jump up and bite me in the butt? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

The '72 3/4 ton (eaton) in my blazer had a different size fittings for the brake lines at the axle than the 12 bolt I took out. I was able to get 2 bushings that adapted the line to the hardlines on the axle. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Should bolt right in. You might have to get a conversion u-joint for the bigger yoke. decent auto store will have one.

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Got u bolts? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Got Spring Plates? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    Also did you get the 14B with the e-brake cables?

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Shocks...? May be a good time to explore a long-travel setup.

Also, driveshaft length....I think the 14BFF is about 5/8" longer than the 1/2 Ton stuff, so you might want to look at how much "spline" you've got now.

I'm doing this swap now too.....got the 12-Bolt out last night and rolled the 14BFF under. Still a long way to go though (disc brakes, spring perches, locker, etc)

7. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Also measure the spring perches first!! Dummy me didn't and discovered that a 1 ton 14 bolt FF is narrower by a couple of inches in spring perch measurement!! Went to install it and had to reinstall the one I removed!!!!

8. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

But a 1 ton 14b ff works fine in a 1st gen. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

9. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

8 lug rims and tires...

10. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I've got the u-joint. And I'm buds with the assitant manager at the Les Schwab tire place in town, he's hookin me up with the 15x10 8 luggers at a killer discount. The driveshaft issue is covered. I did forget about the u-bolts and spring plates thoug. No prob gettin them..Can get them free, but I'm glad ya'all reminded me here. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif It's out of a 3/4 ton so the spring perches are the same. And yes the 14 bolt came with the e-brake cables, so thats covered too. Hmm....Just picked up the 80-90, gasket and RTV today....Hrrmmm...What else? I think thats it. lol, I hope..... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

I have been looking at doing the same thing but I have some questions. What are spring plates and do you need to get the whole e-brake cable. What are the backing plates for that they mention in the 14b swap article in the technical section?

12. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

What rear flex brake line are you using? Check to be sure it fits the hardlines on the axle/ frame. I bought the procomp set. The fronts fit fine. The rear was for 1/4" hardline on the frame and that end fit. The axle end was for 3/16" and my axle had 1/4" hardlines so I got 2 adapters from 3/16" female flare to 1/4" male flare and made it work. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

13. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

You gonna shave it ?Its way easier if ya do it before ya put it in /forums/images/icons/grin.gif