Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

For those that trailer their rigs, how do you do it?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, Feb 13, 2003.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I am going to be getting a two rig soon (once this bottomless money pit called 1-ton conversion ends). I will then plan on trailering the rig anytime I go to trails more than an hour away. I have been considering gooseneck as well as regular style trailers. What would you guys recommend? The tow rig will be a 2500HD w/Duramax-Allison combo, crew cab, 4x4, short bed.

Also, how do you guys secure the rig to the trailer?

TIA - Trying to do my homework for the next big project.

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

My dad has the Duramax/Allison combo and loves it. I have the 6.0L and its plenty potent for towing also. Both of them being 2500HD's. Wish I had the diesel, but $$ prevented that.

Anyway, we both use 18' equipment trailers to tow the trucks with. They are rated at 10k. We got the equipment trailer for the extra weight capacity and the dual brakes. (Both axles) K5's are heavy, and I felt a 7k would be really pushing the weight limit of that trailer. They are regular ball hitch setups. They pull fine behind these trucks. I have towed with gooseneck and fifth wheel before and its nicer than a tag-a-long, but I have no problems with my setups.

Also, we do not use a weight distributing setup either. I was going to get them, but have no need for it. If I ever feel uncomfortable at all with it, I will get one. But for now, I have had no troubles with just the ball hitch.

As for tying them down to the trailer, I'm sure many will give you different answers on this. I prefer to use axle straps and ratchet action straps rated for 10klbs. I use two on each axle. IMO there is no need to put all that stress on the frame of a truck by cinching it down tight with an attachment point on the frame. Some will most likely say it is bad to let the truck move up and down, but I tow every weekend (180 miles round trip) like this and have never had any problems.
    Just make sure to recheck your straps after 5 or so miles. This will be true of any trailer or tie down method you use.

Hope this helps,
    John

3. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

Gooseneck is the way to go. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I have towed my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif quite a few times on a #7k tandem axle with no problems. I used the good old chain and ratcheting binders 1 over each axle pulling in opposite directions. I did NOT use a weight distrubuting hitch either. More than half of the time I was running on a trailer without the trailer brakes hooked up (except for safety cable) due to the fact that I did not have a controller in the tow rig, I didn't have any problems stopping but I would not recommend this. A gooseneck would be nice but I don't think it is necessary and then there is the issue of where to store the thing, a gooseneck will take up a lot more space (not to mention the extra $$$)

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Mine hasn't been running for a while but when I need to move it for whatever reason, I use a towbar. Cheap by comparison to a trailer. Zero tongue weight so sway and all that are nonexistant. It will store in little more room than a gym bag consumes. I could fit it behind the seat of my 85 tow rig. Another nice benefit is when you need to back up to hook up you don't even have to get close to center or even straight. Downfalls, you got to unhook the rear driveshaft and you still have your axles turning but its either them or the trailers. What's the difference. Oh yeah you still wear on your nice expensive off road tires. That is the big down fall. I guess if I had to 500 plus miles I would look into using a trailer. Don't want to ruin them tires prematurely. By the way the 44's arrived yesterday pics will be coming soon I hope...

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

How much does a simple used equipment trailer run you think? We have a nice car trailer but when my trail rig comes about there is no way it will fit on that thing, heck my k5 doesn't fit on the trailer now and all it has is some 33x12.50s.

7. Blazinaire

there are a few locally that are selling for about $800, registered and all /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. I don't know if that is a normal price, but if I had the cash, I would buy one. I have found that even though my truck is way too wide for a standard car trailer, I can just mob over the wheel wells on the trailer and let the tires hang over the sides a little /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. If it doesn't run, then we use one truck to anchor the trailer and another to pull mine onto the trailer, hasn't failed us yet. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I have a '92 1 ton dually 4x4 as my tow rig and a steel floor car trailor with a pintle hitch for the Blazer. I've been using 1 chain on each axle with good results. Lately I've been using once chain on the rear axle and two 5000 ratchet straps from each from frame rail. Both methods seem to work well but the straps are easier to use. the pintle hitch likes to slop around but I've broken ball hitches before with bad results. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Blazinaire, are those private party's or a business selling them? Whaaaaat size are they? I'm looking for a good used 10k gvw trailer for mine.

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Hey Bruce I think the ones he refered to are 7000lb but still is a good deal.
    If you do come upon a deal like that can you let me know Blazinaire?

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

You will probably have a hard time finding any low-deck trailer that a Blazer with wider tires and rims will fit on without driving over the fenders. Max legal trailer width is 102", so by the time you subtract the width needed for the tires and fenders to stick outside the bed you will be lucky to have around 83" in between the fenders. My Blazer with an 8-lug front 10-bolt (8-lug is wider than the 6-lug stuff), 12.50 tires and 15x10 rims with 4.25" BS is closer to 86" wide. My rear axle just barely squeezed in between the fenders of a car hauler with 83".

Most of the heavy duty trailers and equipment trailers I have seen are at least a little less than 83" in between the fenders.

Has anybody tried a trailer with removable fenders instead of driving over them??

12. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Well Brian, I think that you have seen all of my set ups.
    FIRST: 1995 Chevy Short BED (350) and an 18' car trailer.

Then: 1985 Chevy Crew Cab 2wd Duallie (454) and the same 18' car trailer

NOW: 2000 Ford Crew Cab 4x4 long bed duallie (Powerstroke)and a 30' gooseneck.
    The results.....

FIRST....was slow, and the trailer was not strong enough to handle my heavy truck, it bent, we fixed. It was scary, it did not stop too well, it would wag around sometimes.It was hard to back into my driveway due to the total length and the cars that park directly across the street from my house.

Then....It was a little faster, used tons of Fuel, the trailer actualy broke, I fixed it again. It stopped much better. It was hard to back into my driveway due to the total length and the cars that park directly across the street from my house.

Now: It pull like a dream. I load two rigs on my trailer and it feels better then the bumper pull. It stops better then ever. I go faster then before. it gets better gas milage. AND it is easier to back into my driveway. I am dang near TWICE as long and it is easier to manuver the GOOSNECK, I stiil load my bed up.
    For example, this last weekend we went to Katemcy Rocks, loaded the trailer with my rig and a stretched TJ, filled the front half of the bed with camping gear and the back half FULL of campfire wood. It still pulled and felt better than the bumper pull.

I have pulled a number of bumper hitch with my Ford, and really think that the gooseneck is the way to GO.
    That is all just my opinion.

Hope it helps.

13. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

I agree the gose kneck is better. But watch the front over hang on a gose kneck/short box combo I have seen more then one broken back window becase of turning to sharp(mostly 5th wheel campers). I to use a flat bed over the axels on a toung pull with good resaults.

14. Blazinaire

iceman & 70k5: The trailers were both 18 foot and being sold by private partys in our local "photo ad", I will check to see if they are in the new one /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif tomorrow (it comes out every thursday, but I missed this weeks /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif) I'll let you know

15. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I just happen to have a gooseneck trailer that can be made into a nice custom hauler for about 500 bucks for sale. It used to haul a water tank. The tank has been removed and is ready to be converted easily into a flatbed. The bed length is about 20 feet.

John