Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

For those that were curious about 14b welding....~PICS~

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Zeus33rd, Apr 6, 2003.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Took a few pics while welding NoSmogs stuff today...

Here's what ya see after ya remove the ring gear and pull the carrier halves apart..
    [​IMG]

Here's the spiders welded to the cross shaft. I tack everything together before I actually weld it. Tack the 4 spots that are welded in the picture, take it out, flip it over and do the same thing on the other side...THEN weld it..
    [​IMG]

After welding the spiders to the cross shafft, I place the side gear back on top, tacked in in place, took it out, flipped it over, put the other side gear on top and tack that one. Then pull the whole thing out of the carrier and weld at each point where the spiders and side gears meet..16 seperate welds..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

DUDE YOU ROCK! Thats pretty much what I expected, but seeing the step by step makes it much easier to figure out.

What are you using? MIG or ARC? I have a 110 MIG and a 220 ARC but I am REAL rusty on the ARC welding. (havent touched it since I discovered MIG over a decade ago) I also have access to a 220 MIG. If your using ARC, what set up and what rod are you using?

Thanx!

3. Zeus33rd

I use a Lincoln PowerMIG 200....220 wire feed.

IF I were gonna use a stick welder, I'd use 3/32 or 1/8's 7018 rod. But 7018 is a tricky rod to use well...I've got quite a bit of experience with it. Also, it's a DC only rod, so your machine has to be DC capable.

You can also send me your stuff to weld for ya... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif A 14b ff carrier minus ring gear weighs 36lbs. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. Pure Insanity

That is very tempting but Ca is a long way from Fla. If I had an extra carrier I may do that since you have done so many.

Since your using a MIG that takes a lot of my worry out. Ive been using a MIG almost daily for over 10 yrs. (Im a body man, well not anymore, I "retired" from it a yr ago.) I can MIG good no problem, ARC I was worried about. I was told to use a 220 w/ a 7018 rod sine a MIG wouldnt heat up the surrounding area well enuff for good penetration. Are you using an 023 or 030 wire? Or even 035?

Ill have to get my rear apart, get it cleaned up and take it to my buddies shop to use his big MIG. Thanx again for the pics and advice.

5. Zeus33rd

I use .035 Hobart ER70S-6 wire with 75/25 mix/Gold Gas. The ER70S-6 is just your basic mild steel wire. Nothin special about it.

And whoever told ya that a MIG welder won't get hot enuff for good penetration didn't know what they were talkin about. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> With 16 seperate weld points plus the spiders being welded to the crossshaft, they could probably be crappy welds and the thing would still hold together. There's way more welding going on with this than in any other weded diff out there, you just can't get into most diffs like you can the 14 bolt... ./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Moderators, can we get a thumb tack over here /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Thanks, great pics, much appreciated!

8. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

this is how I welded mine,and I used arc with 7018 rods and 75-90 amps,with pre-heated parts.works very good,I'm glad I did it.good pics /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Pure Insanity

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> With 16 seperate weld points plus the spiders being welded to the crossshaft, they could probably be crappy welds and the thing would still hold together. There's way more welding going on with this than in any other weded diff out there, you just can't get into most diffs like you can the 14 bolt... ./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

[/ QUOTE ]That is prob the best point I have heard yet. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The ARC had me nervous since I hadnt used one in so long, but I am fairly confident in my MIG abilities. BUT even still...I was concerned. Your comment makes me feel that much better. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh and I got the OK to use my buddies 220 MIG tonite. Now I just need to get it all apart. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

How much are you getting to do these if we send 'em to you? I'd like to have you do a FF for me this summer.

11. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

SWEET! Thanks for the pics! I am going to be welding one up here SOON and this helps alot!

12. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]

And whoever told ya that a MIG welder won't get hot enuff for good penetration didn't know what they were talkin about. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Just want to back him up on what he is saying. I own a Miller 210 MIG and heat is NOT an issue. I can burn through 1/4" plate like its sheetmetal.

13. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I think tonight I am going to take my 14bolt carrier to my friends house and we are gonna weld it up like this. Thanks again for the pics, very very helpful!

14. Zeus33rd

Good luck dude. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Just make sure you pay attention to everything, and TACK everything together while it's sitting in one half of the carrier, and THEN weld it. Other than that...It's a cake walk. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. nicshorse

nicshorse Registered Member

i'm really new at this so this may sound stupid but, why would you do this?

16. nicshorse

nicshorse Registered Member

never mind did a search and at first all i got was every post from folks with "welded 14b" in thier signature. then i tried all of the different words and got in essence "to lock it up"

17. Pure Insanity

Its to make the rear axles lock up. Like a spool. There is no spinning 1 tire in the mud or if you lift a tire the one off the ground spins leaving you w/ no traction this way. If 1 is turning the other is unless you break an axle shaft which is pretty unheard of.

The down side is turning tight corners on pavement.

18. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    i'm really new at this so this may sound stupid but, why would you do this?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the cheapest way out there to get traction. A Detriot is $300+ and has "predictability issues" A welded rear is basically free, and has no wierd driving characteristics or noises. Like PI said, The only downside is the slow speed corners- Makes alot of chirping noises and is hard on tires. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Well mine is done. Looks just like the pics, but we put more weld in the corners of mine. Already put it back in the carrier, so no pics...sorry /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif