Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

For those who have converted to R134...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Corey-88K5, May 9, 2000.

1. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Sorry for not putting this on the other post, but I was just wondering what the cost was in the conversion. My compressor was replaced 2 years ago, so it must have some bad seals somewhere. What would I be looking for as far as the conversion? Do you need to have the system evacuated and dried before the conversion?

Thanks,

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

2. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

You can buy the kit from a parts store for about 40.00, plus replace the orfice while you are at it.And you might want to replace the o-rings, while you are at it. Once done, get someone to pull a vacuume on it then fill it with the 134...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

3. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

Autozone has the kits and Harbor freight had a vacuum on sale for 9$ I should have replaced the drier and orifice but didnt but its working great it sounds loud at idle I think my pump is going but til then its seems good.

4. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Eagle gave some good info on the system . Something else to think about is R12 is hard to get and cost more than 3 times more than R134 . It's worth the money to convert .

5. bart

bart Registered Member

As the oil used in R12 systems is different from that used in R134A systems you should change the o-ring seals if at all possible...there is a "flush" that you can use in the system if you so desire...If your system was ever left "open" at some time or another then change the drier.
    Just dump all the old oil out of the compressor...if there is any left and follow the instructions with the kit.
    R134A costs less than $40 for a 15 lb cylinder...gauge set is about $40 or so...then you need a scale to do it right..if you don't have a vac pump, run the vac side of the manifold gage set to your intake vac port...you'll at least get it down to about 11 inches...just hold it for a while..check for leaks...if none, charge up...Don't overcharge the r134A as it operates over a wider P-V curve...a higher system pressure...
    you lose some cooling capacity using R134A in a system designed for 12..but mine has worked just fine for two years now. If you find that your system is taking a long time to take the full charge, and it's a hot day...get out the garden hose and hose off the evap. while charging...
    Sorry for going on so long.

6. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure if I posted this link already, but here it goes: http://www.aircondition.com/

Hope it helps you out.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

7. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Just got the LMC Blazer/Jimmy catalogue in the mail yesterday. One word - AWESOME!!!! Read it 3 times cover to cover.

They have an R134A conversion kit for $29.95!! (P.56) I don't know if this is worth a pinch or not but it's cheap.

Comments?

Brian