Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

for those who have done the 52" springs in the front....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by leadfoot067, Mar 4, 2004.

1. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

for those who have done the 52\" springs in the front....

ok got the springs in....i moved my front hangars 4" forward.still have stock shackle location..with ord shackles...by my measurements i should have good shackle angle....but i dont,they are pretty much still vertical......whats up?? do yall move the shackle mount forward to gain angle even after the 52"???

2. 77 Mud Buddy

77 Mud Buddy 1/2 ton status

Re: for those who have done the 52\" springs in the front....

I installed 52" springs up front and I already had an extended rear shackle. It looked good enough to me, I didnt change anything
    [​IMG]

I imagine that moving the shackle location could help out with droop but I am just running with what I have got. I havent had a chance to wheel it like this yet though, I still have quite a few things left to do.

3. leadfoot067

thats what mine looks like....but on paper measurements in hand,,,,the shackle should have more angle.... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. owen

owen 1/2 ton status

glad you guys started this- I was just about to make a new thread for these questions. You guys might be exactly who I need to talk to. Here are the questions: what advantage is their to moving the housing forward? I was going to try it because it would be easier to cut the bottom of the front fender rather than trim the back. Also aproach angle. What springs do you use? And lastly, in a nutshell (if possible), what does the shackle angle matter? Hope I am not hi-jacking, just had a few questions on the same subject! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Not to hyjack but is there a lot involved in doing front 52's? How much better does it ride? What springs does a guy need to do it? How much lift do the springs create? Sorry about the hyjack. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

6. leadfoot067

i used stock 5 leaf packs from a mid 70s chevy 1/2 ton 4x4....stock rears put in the front creat about 4" of lift....just move the front spring hangars 4" forward and i used a 1" zero rate to move the axle back 1" ...i may go forward not sure yet....my blaz isnt driving yet..(doin a 60 front also) will prolly be a month or so before i can drive it and test it out

7. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

That shackle angle is fine, just as long as its not kicked forward cause thats a problem that the after market lift springs have.

8. 77 Mud Buddy

77 Mud Buddy 1/2 ton status

I installed 56" springs in the back and moved my stock 52" rear springs up front. The stock 52's gave me about a 4" lift up front and after moving the front spring hanger it moved my axle location 2" forward. I also have a angled zero rate up front set at 1.5" forward. Total of 3.5" forward. I'm running 42's and as you can see I have an AWSOME aproach angle. Cant wait to try it out. As you can also see I have taken my inner fenders out. With 42's I need all the room I can ... make!
    [​IMG]

Here is a link to the entire album of my rig after the 56/52 on 42's upgrade
    BIG UPGRADE

I haven't seriously flexed it out yet so I'm not sure if I need to cut my radiator support but I think the tires should move back as they flex up, It should be okay. If not... hack it!

Also, I havent driven mine but to just put it in the driveway so I cant tell ya how it drives yet. Soon I return from a business trip and can start finishing things up.

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I haven't seriously flexed it out yet so I'm not sure if I need to cut my radiator support

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no question...you are gonna have to hack the rad support for sure. As soon as you flex and steer at the same time the tires will hit. I run 40's on approx the same lift with stiffer front springs and the front diff only 1.25" forward from stock and I get awefully close to hitting the rad support when crossed up.

Rene

10. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

at least you posted the pic of the wheel with the most lug nuts on it /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

With a Dana 60 front you only need three lug nuts.