Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

for those who have installed 4x4 IRON sliders...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddysub, Nov 20, 2004.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i really wanna put a set of these on my sub, i can get a piece of square tube and have the round stuff bent up here for cheap, no need to order a set. (shipping would be killer) but any way, how hard is it to install these things? obviously due to the lenght ive got more work to do but is there anything i should look out for? what size and thickness of square tube do i need?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

For a long stretch like that you will probably want to use .250 wall 2x3 (or something similar) and use lots of supports. Cutting the stock rocker out is easy. Use an angle grinder with a cutting wheel and or a sawzall.

For the kicker tubes use 1.5" .120 wall or bigger. The 1" .120 wall I use on mine won't take the abuse of the rocks. You need something bigger and stronger, especially with a burb's weight.

When you cut out the rocker you also cut out the bottom portion of the front fender and the rear quarter panel. Cut the outside surface of the rocker out and leave that back wall intact. It gives you something to weld to along with the door sills. You also need to add braces to the main body supports that run laterally across the truck. More is better with the weight of a Burb coming down on them.

My webshots has pictures of my sliders with kicker tubes. Mine are 2 pieces of 1.5" .250 wall steel welded together to form a 1.5"x3" slider. The body of my sliders are basically unbendable, but they are very heavy.

Harley

3. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

My plans for sliders for my burb were as follows.

Use 2x2 1/4" square tubing for the outer "rail" part.
    use 2" 1/4" wall round tubing for the supports running t the frame. (cant decide whether or not I need 3, 4, or more per side)

I'm not going to cut my stock rockers off so these will be built kinda like a nerf bar. Do y'all think I should use 3, 4 or more supports?

4. Hossbaby50

Are you going to attach the slider to the body and the frame?

Harley

5. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

No body attachment, just the frame.

6. Hossbaby50

4x4 Iron sliders like Muddy is referring to are one that you cut the rocker panels out and mount them to the body.

I am not a fan of frame mounted sliders since you don't gain ground clearence, you loose it. You also put alot of stress on the frame where the slider mounts attach.

Harley

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

The ones I made for my burb are 4 x 2 x .188 tubing and 2 x .120 round tubing for the kickers. I also used .188 angle iron to attach them to the bottom of the body supports in ONLY 3 positions per side(I've slammed them down on some rocks out on my parents farm with no damage to the sliders or the body mounting locations). I did on mine run 1" square tubing to the frame BUT i did attach them with custom made bushings /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Why not just mount them under the body? That's how I did mine and I have never seed any reason to cut into the body. It's not a competition rig and if you really need more clearence get bigger tires.

Once your done doing your mods you need to come out to the Hammers with me and test things out.
    [​IMG]

9. muddysub

yeah im rethinking it now, i just wanna bolt on a set of sliders. the DPI ones look good, where did you get yours rich?

10. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I got them from Blazen91 but I'm making them now. Do you need a set?

11. muddysub

yes as a matter of fact i do.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

but not til after the holidays, unfortunetly.

12. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

I just ordered a set of the 4x4 iron sliders, i cant wait to put them on /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Send me a PM when you're ready.

[​IMG]