Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

? for those who installed manual valvebody

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by XtrmChevy, Jul 18, 2003.

1. XtrmChevy

XtrmChevy 1/2 ton status

I bought a TCI manual valvebody for my TH400, reversed shift pattern. Before I bought it I asked at the store if it is possible to do the swap with the trans installed and the answer was Yes You Can.

I have asked several so called "experts" before and they all saied the same, You can do it without dropping the trans.

However when I opened the box and start reading the instructions it says remove the transmission... and there are some mods to be made inside the trans. Impossible to do without dropping it.

But are the mods really important? How will my trans perform if I skip the internal mods and just drive the thing?

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Alright... I did the same thing to my camaro installed a TCI reverse shifting full manual valve body in my TH400...
    Now you know that you will no longer have engine compression brakeing in 1st and 2nd gear! Only 3rd gear will have compression brakeing...
    In 1st and 2nd you let off the gas and it drops back down to idle. you mash it and it will rev up and then catch the gear at the appropriate rpm's... Pretty cool for a strip/street car and for downshifting, but i would want to keep what little compression brakeing you have with an auto for off road...
    Hm, i remember you have to remove the two rear most lip seals (out of 4) on the "center support" which is in the very middle of the tranny requireing you to tear it at least halfway apart. The other internal mod would be to take out the 2nd gear band... that is responsible for engine brakeing in 2nd. You have to also take out the 2nd gear servo piston after the valve body comes off... I guess it wouldn't hurt anything if you left that 2nd gear band in there, but i think you'll need to remove those two lip seals on the center support... call TCI tech support and ask them if that is mandatory of if you can get away with only doing the valve body mod's and leaving those two lip seals and 2nd gear band in the tranny...

I know the B&M stage 3 "manual valve body" kit you can do everything with the tranny still in the car, theres no internal mods... but its really not the same... you come to a stop in 3rd and it will downshift for you to 1st... with that TCI kit you stop in 3rd and its always in 3rd, you have to manually shift it ALL THE TIME.

Good luck man.

3. XtrmChevy

XtrmChevy 1/2 ton status

I asked if there will be compression braking and I was told, Yes There Will Be. I got the impression in all gears but...

I think I just put it together and try it, if it wont work right then I have to take it out and do the internal mods. Its just too much work /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif